Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Basic questions

Apr 4, 2012 8:40 PM

I used Acrobat Pro to create fields that a user can type into from my Illustrator file and I saved it as a .PDF.

1. What happens if a user does not have Acrobat Pro on their computer and they type into the fields? Is there anyway they can save it with the text they type?

2. Can someone with Acrobat Pro open my .PDF and make changes to it? If so, how can I prevent that?

Thanks!!

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,729 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 4, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to media kat

1. Adobe Reader and certain other non-Adobe PDF viewers can fill-in and save a fillable form. In order for Adobe Reader to save a filled-in form, it needs to be Reader-enabled, which is an additional step that you'd do in Acrobat. Exactly how you do this depends on what version of Acrobat you have.

2. If you apply standard password security, Acrobat will disallow editing, depending on which restrictions you set. More information is in Acrobat's help doc.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,729 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 4, 2012 11:00 PM   in reply to media kat

OK, to Reader-enable a document with Acrobat 10, select: File > Save As > Reader-extended PDF > Enable Additional Features

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to George Johnson

George Johnson wrote:

1. Adobe Reader and certain other non-Adobe PDF viewers can fill-in and save a fillable form. In order for Adobe Reader to save a filled-in form, it needs to be Reader-enabled, which is an additional step that you'd do in Acrobat. Exactly how you do this depends on what version of Acrobat you have.

2. If you apply standard password security, Acrobat will disallow editing, depending on which restrictions you set. More information is in Acrobat's help doc.

Be very cautious what you say. as to other non-Adobe viewers. If you want a sure guarantee of mangling a PDF Form beyond all hope of repair, open it with Apple's Preview. Just opening a Form in Preview will destroy the form. The pdf itself will look fine. but the form elements will not work. And if you open with either Reader or Acrobat the damage can not be repaired.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,729 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 5, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Phillip,

Preview does its damage when it saves PDF forms, not when it opens them. Preview has partial support for PDF forms, but it's not very good, and I'm well aware of the damage it does to forms when it saves them.

Some other non-Adobe viewers have pretty good support for forms, including decent support for JavaScript, and can save as well. It is these viewers that I had in mind when I made that comment.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points