Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I create automatic numbering?

Apr 5, 2012 2:30 AM

I'm using a document for reference, where a chapter (or paper) number is linked from the master page to an anchored text frame. Changing the paper number in the anchored frame automatically changes the number on the master page item in the top corner of the layout. The master page hasn't been overridded and isn't immediately selectable. There's also a running head on the master page and a small text frame in the layout that is similarly linked. I've explored 'Insert text variables' which appears to give a clue, but I can't replicate this in a new document. The master page item for the chapter/paper number appears as <00> and a new text variable has been created for this, with running head style. The running head appears on the master page as Level <level number> with the text variable 'level number', again set to running head style.

Does anyone please know the trick to make these numbers link or change the master page item, from the linked text frame on the pages throughout the document?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to JerryPF

At the very least we're going to need to see a screen shot of that master page in the sample file with non-printing characters visible. We may need to see the file itself.

You can embed a screen shot in a post using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to JerryPF

Jerry,

Attachments don't work. You have to come back to the web page and use the camera icon to embed an image.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to JerryPF

Yes, that's a variable. The 00 variable is looking for text with the "paper number" character style applied, and it uses the last instance it finds on the page, or on a previous page if no instance is on the current page.

<level number> is also a variable, and will work ina similar fashion, but you'll have to check what it's looking for.

When variables are placed on the master page you won't see any change on the master, but the actual document pages should update with changes to the text (sometimes you have to scroll off the page and back to get the display to update).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

@peter

JerryPF wrote "Changing the paper number in the anchored frame automatically changes the number on the master page item in the top corner of the layout. The master page hasn't been overridded and isn't immediately selectable"

why the changes are replicating on the master page even when it is not overrided, and how jerryPF is making the changes when it is a master page item.

Bit confusing ?????

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

I'm guessing the numbers aren't really updating on the master page (especially since the varible name is showing) and that Jerry just didn't express what was happening very well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points