Skip navigation
trommlertom73
Currently Being Moderated

problem with directory (table of content)

Apr 6, 2012 7:22 AM

Hi There!

FIrst of all, it is hard to explain my problem because I dont know the correct description of this funktion in english as I am a German user...

But hopefully there is somebody who understands and is able help.

I try to create a "directory for a book".

Threfore I want to use the headlines of the chapters.

So far so good.

The problem is that those headlines already have a " defined character format".

I use this headline with the "defined character format" already for a "living column headline" on all pages.

Giving the headlines an additional "defined chapterformat" besides the "defined character format" to use the headline as well in my direcotry is ok. It works.

The directory can be created.

But!!!!

I am not able to change the format of the characters. It seems that the defined Character format of the headline itselfs "blocks" the adjustment.

When I delete the defined Character format i am able to adjust the format in the directory. But than I loose my living column titels.

Does anybody understand this?

Is there anybody who can hal?

Thanks in advance!

tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to trommlertom73

In English we would talk about a Table of Contents (TOC), Paragraph Styles, and Character Styles.

The TOC is built by searching for designated Paragraph Styles. You can use the same styles in the TOC, or create new styles to use for each component style you pick up. Your problem here is a basic misunderstanding, I think, of how and why to use Character Styles. Paragraph styles have basic font formatting information included, and that formatting is applied to all text in any paragraph to which the style is applied, unless you modifiy the formatting in one of two ways: By applying a Character Style, or by applying a local formatting override (selecting text and adjusting the formatting without the benefit of a style). Character styles are meant to be applied to isolated text within a paragraph to change the formatting of something special, not an entire paragraph. If the entire paragraph needs a certain format, it should be defined in the Paragraph Style, and no character styles at all need to be applied.

The heirarchy for controlling formatting is Paragraph Styles, which are trumped by Character Styles, and both are overridden by local formatting. A character style manually applied to selected text is not considered an override to the paragraph style, but rather an additional enhancement, so to speak. If, for example, you have applied a character style to make text italic, that italic style will be preserved if you switch the paragraph style from one that uses Minion Pro to one that uses Myriad. The assuption here is that the text to which the character style was applied is somehow special and you want to keep that specialness. The application of a character style does not add a + to the paragraph style name, and character styles are not removed with local formatting overrides when you issue the "remove overrides" command. You must specifically include character styles for removal if you intend for them to be gone.

This has an impact on TOC formatting. If Character styles or local formatting are present in the text you pick up, they will be preserved in the TOC lisitings. To work around that for cases where you actually want some sort of local styling in the text, but not in the TOC, you should use Nested or GREP styles to apply the formatting. Because these are part of the paragraph style definition, if you assign a new paragraph style that does not have them, the formatting will disappear and be repalced by wahtever is in the new style definition.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to trommlertom73

Please post a screen capture of the part of a page that shows the "topline" in your document. Have frame edges showing, and non-printing characters, and have an active text cursor in this topline text. Please include in this capture the Pargraph Styles panel and the Character Styles panel so I can see what styles are applied. If you are able to also fit in the same capture the pargraph style definition dialog for the applied style, open to the Basic Character Formats section that would be good, otherwise make a second capture with that  information.

Use the camera icon on the eb page to embed your screen capture(s) in your post like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to trommlertom73

OK, that's what I was trying to explain, so I'm glad you figured this out.

You only need a character style to change text that needs to be different from the rest of the paragraph. It's as simple as that.

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points