Skip navigation
Samantray
Currently Being Moderated

Can I create a book, whose pages are dynamically populated with text, pictures?

Apr 6, 2012 8:47 AM

Can I create a book, whose pages are dynamically populated with text, pictures, videos?

And then want to give those pages a curl effect when turned. Pls. note I want to build these pages on the fly.

If it's possible, what are the possible technologies that I can use?

Cheers,

Samantray

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Samantray

Flash can read data from multiple sources (XML files, text files, over the web, locally, etc) and you can use that data to populate your book dynamically. It can do the same with images and any other asset flash can use (images/video/etc).

The page curl effect can be done in many different ways. Just search google for flash page flip effect and tons of resources and tutorials will show up painstakingly explaining how to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Samantray

Both products ultimately can build the same thing. If you are new to it then I think you're better off going with Flash Professional over Flash Builder. It is designer-oriented even though it can be used to make code-heavy projects just the same. I say this and have to bite my tongue as a coder because Flash Builder is a much better mobile development tool but is geared quite a bit more towards coders. It also makes some specific parts of developing for mobile much easier (e.g. flex components, native extension support,  things you'll find out later).

What Flash Builder lacks is a timeline. Your workflow in Flash Professional, especially for designers, involves you using a timeline that is similar to photoshop. Think layers. Only those layers can contain sounds and video and other things. Now think "over time" The timeline is a bunch of layers you can put things in and over time they can animate.

Ultimately either route can produce a full Mobile App. Being it's been heavily rumored that June/July may have the new CS6 suite debuting, you might want to wait for that. It sucks to buy something only to have new amazing features come out 2 months later and you have to pay for an upgrade.

The great thing about Adobe is you can download a fully functional Trial of both pieces of software. Although you only get 30 days. So don't download and install both at the same time. Try Flash Professional CS5.5, play with the timeline and go over the basic tutorials and videos it comes with. The web is chuck full of tutorials of every kind about every aspect of Flash development. If you have any specific questions feel free to come back here and ask.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to Samantray

The page flip isn't something I'd like to explain beyond the tutorials I linked you to. There's more than one way to skin a cat and you can pick your tutorial or component yourself and try it out. I haven't used any of them so I can't tell you anything about them. What I can tell you is each and every one of them pulls basically the same trick. Some clever masking and highlight effects to give you the illusion the page is turning but to the trained eye it's just faking it.

Beyond that, once you download and install Flash Pro CS5.5 Trial post back and I can give you some examples of populating a text field with some code.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points