Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Monitor Recommendations

Apr 6, 2012 12:30 PM

Well, after about 14 years of flawless service, one of my Hitachi 21" CRT's died this morning. It's "twin" is still working fine. I had a spare 21" Hitachi, of an earlier vintage, so just did some swapping - man those puppies are heavy, and awkward to move.

I am now in the market for a new monitor, and probably two.

As I am running the display from an nVidia Quadro FX 4500, I need Sub-D input for now. Hope to replace the entire rig, and will likely be able to go to HDMI in the future w/ new GPU.

I have been looking at the high-end Dell 24" and their 30" monitors. I need to make two mock-ups with foam-core, to see if I can fit dual 30" units, or need to go with dual 24".

I know zero about Dell monitors, and am open to others' comments on them, plus any recommendations on other brands. The only requirement is that they have at least one Sub-D input for now.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments and recommendations.

Hunt, who has to dispose of a dead 21" CRT monitor...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I've got a Dell U2711 27" Ultrasharp monitor. At 2560x1440 I really like all that real estate to work on. The color looks pretty good and the screen is nice and bright. I will mention that it puts out a lot of heat. HDMI won't run the monitor at it's full resoulution, and I'm not sure if D-Sub willl either. I had a problem running at full resolution at first, until I realized that the DVI cable I was using from my previous monitor only had half the pins, which works at lower resolution. After switching with the cable that it came with, everything looks great.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, here is a shortlist with current day prices incl. VAT in the Netherlands, all IPS panels with LED edge lit:

Monitors.png

I would be wary of the Terra, but the Dell and HP model are quite nice, with the Dell's giving the best BFTB IMO in the 24" category. The HP 27" is hard to beat with that resolution.

I use dual Samsung F2380 23" monitors and they are very good for my needs.

RIMG0029.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I really like my Samsung P2770 27" - but you'll have to check to see it it has the connectors you want - cost $300 at Costco

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I don't have room on my "corner" desk so when I am writing http://www.amazon.com/John-Thomas-Smith/e/B001KI9SUY/ I have my text notes file open on the right (plot outline, cast list, etc) and my Word document open in the center... with 23.5" of width, it works great for me... also lots of screen space when I am using PPro

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points