Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Editing text does not appear to be updating layer name.

Apr 7, 2012 9:27 AM

Using CS5 and Win7.

I just noticed something with my text in CS5 which is different from CS3 and as far as I'm concerned, a step back.

I made a text layer with some words.  The words appeared as the layer name in the layers palate (say I typed "TEXT" on the screen and the text layer was named text).

Then I double clicked on the text icon and this selected the word on the screen.  I then changed the word "TEXT" to some other word say "WORD".  However, this new word I typed in was not carried over to the layer name so the old layer name remained. 

In CS3, the layer name is updaed when the words on the screen are changed. 

I'd really like to have the new text update on the layer name.  Is there some way to fix this or is this just something in my system.

Thanks in advance.

JohnRich

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

Actually the behaviour should still be the same.

The only reason for it to break down that comes to my mind is when the name has been edited in the Layers Panel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 7, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

I just tested with both Photoshop CS5 and CS6, and the layer names updated for me when I edited the text.  I haven't configured anything specific to cause that.

ThisIsText1.jpg

ThisIsText2.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 7, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Blue_Devil1

Christoph probably has it right.  If something caused the name to change at some point - even possibly duplicating the layer - it might stop updating.  Though I don't know specifically how it works, I can imagine Photoshop comparing the text string in the image to the text string in the layer name, and only updating the latter if they exactly match.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points