Skip navigation
MikeJWD
Currently Being Moderated

Erratic problems with "save as" in CS6

Apr 8, 2012 9:57 AM

Tags: #save_as #bug_report #photoshop_cs6_beta

I have been having problems with the "save as" function in Photoshop CS6. Or, at least, the function is not working consistently with the way it worked in CS5 and earlier.

Specifically:

• When I save an image with a new name, so as not to change the original image, the new file is saved, but the new name does not appear on the image tab. The name on the image tab remains the origninal, so that if I were to "save" more changes, they would overwrite the original image, not the new one. In CS5 and earlier, when you did a "save as", the name in the tab changed to the new name, and you continued editing the image you had just saved, not the original.
  • The file type on "save as" is always PSD, not JPG. If there is an option or preference to select the default save file type, I have not been able to find it.

I have reviewed the other threads in this forum about "save as" problems, and have confirmed that my plug-ins folder is empty and I do not have any alternate plug-ins folder specified in preferences. I did not move any plugins from earlier versions to this version.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 8, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to MikeJWD

How are you saving the file (i.e., in what format)?  Is the "As a Copy" checkbox checked?  If so, it will not consider the document name changed.

If your file type is defaulting to PSD, that says you've done something to your file - add layers, channels, use 16 bits/channel, or whatever - that can't be supported in a JPEG file, so Photoshop is encouraging you to save it in a format that's capable of carrying those features.

I suspect there's no problem here in PS CS6 (I certainly haven't detected one), but rather something you've done to your file is what's making work the way you're seeing it.

FYI, I just tested this in PS CS5.  I opened a single-layer PSD file, added a fill layer with a mask, and did a File - Save As.  As expected, it came up with the .PSD type by default, and when I saved it specifically as a .JPG it did NOT change the document name.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 9, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to MikeJWD

MikeJWD wrote:

The only changes I made were cropping and levels.

Aha!  Now I think I know what's happening.

You're using the new Crop Tool, and there's a bit of new functionality that's biting you I think:  The [  ] Delete Cropped Pixels option.

If it's NOT checked, which is now possible on a Background layer, the Crop Tool will turn your image into a layer, so as to maintain the pixels outside the current edges of the document.

Try opening a JPEG, cropping with that setting in either position, and notice the name of the layer in your Layers panel in both cases.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to MikeJWD

I'm glad the main problem was solved but, like you, I keep looking for a preference or option to check so that PSD does not  show up as the default file type when saving layers. This happens even if I open a layered tif, do something to it, and want to resave it. PS wants to save it as PSD and I don't. I would understand if it was a PSD file to begin with, but it will do it for any layered file whether as "save" or "save as."

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to ckc48

Yes, not too many file types support the use of Layers, and only few apps can take TIFFs with layers, so we default to PSD files when using layered documents.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points