Skip navigation
FocusCreative22
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Scratch Disk Error OSX Lion 10.7.3

Apr 8, 2012 5:07 PM

Tags: #cs5 #error #lion #mac #scratch #photoshop_cs5

I have had Photoshop CS5 installed on my system for over a year, and it worked fine all this time under Snow Leopard. Now that I've upgraded to Lion, Photoshop will not open due to these messages:

Could not open a scratch file because the disk is unavailable.

Could not initialize Photoshop because the disk is unavailable.

The scratch disk in question is an 80gb partition of a 1tb internal hard drive. If I delete the preferences file (by holding down cmd-shift-opt when starting PS) then it starts up just fine. If I go into preferences and reset it to use the scratch disk, then next time I try to reopen the program I get the same 2 error messages and I have to ditch the preferences again.

There is nothing wrong with the disks, I verified them. And anyway, I've been using that scratch disk with Photoshop for the last year with no issues. It was only after I switched to Lion that this started happening.

I need to be able to take advantage of the performance increase that a scratch disk offers. Anybody have any ideas on what's happening or how to solve this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to FocusCreative22

Same for me i've reinstalled, repaired permissions with utility disk, repaired the disk with onyx...

nothing same error PLEASE WE NEED HELP!!!

same version photoshop cs5 e mac osx 10.7.3

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 2:39 AM   in reply to FocusCreative22

Try to reset the scratch disk preferences by clicking Option+Command Key while launching PS CS5 and then select or change the respective hard drives as scratch disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:34 PM   in reply to FocusCreative22

A Arpit suggested i've started photoshop pressing alt+cmd keys

i've changed the disk to onother external usb disk and it works,

but if i came back to my original disk on my mac HD it doesn't works, i need to understand where is photoshop accessing to & control permissions.

I've got the same problem with the native osx unzipper

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:48 PM   in reply to FocusCreative22

One of 2 things:

1) The scratch disk that you specified in preferences is missing, or has changed names.

2) You have a disk permissions problem that makes Photoshop unable to read the disk you specified for scatch.

Try resetting both Br CS5 and PS CS5 preferences by pressing Shift+Option+Command key at their launch.

Quit PS CS5 and Br CS5 and delete the below folders :

• /Users/ username /Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings.
    • /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.bridge5.plist
    • /Users/username/Library/Caches/com.adobe.Photoshop

In Lion, Library will be hidden, To unhide, follow the below steps:

When in the Finder, hold down the "alt/option" key and pull down the Go menu, Library appears in the list of locations you can select.

Repair the disk permissions from Utilities->Disk Utility.

If still same issue, re-install PS CS5

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:26 PM   in reply to FocusCreative22

Repair permissions.  Check ownership of the partition and readwrite status. Command S at the startup chime, fsck -fy at the root prompt, quit when the disk check is complete.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:37 PM   in reply to FocusCreative22

i've tried repairing permissions but the only way to make it works is attache a new external disck and make that the scratch disk

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to FocusCreative22

The permissions error is with the scratch file or volume, not with preferences.  Resetting the preferences was just a way to force Photoshop into resetting the scratch preferences (which won't help if the boot disk can't be used).

Reinstalling Photoshop also won't help, since the disk permissions issue will remain.  Reinstalling the OS after erasing the drive might help - but that's a lot of trouble.

You need to check the permissions at the root level of your disk, and /private (not normally visible in the Finder, you'll have to use the unix command line tools or GoToFolder).

It's also possible that you have duplicate volume names in /Volumes causing problems (again, you would need command line tools to clean that up).

My guess is that your upgrade changed the user id, and thus you don't have the permissions you think you do on the boot disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Use Disk Utility> Repair Disk   from your boot disk to repair the scratch disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:37 PM   in reply to FocusCreative22

That's one way to do it. But it also tells us that the problem was permissions, without telling us where the problem existed.

Hopefully next version we can spend some time on providing more specific error messages in these cases (tell me the @#%@#% directory with the problem).

If you are the only user on the system, then ignore permissions should be fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to FocusCreative22

THANK YOU FocusCreative22! I've suffering with this issue for over a year and you've sorted it out. Very grateful.

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to FocusCreative22

try cleaning all your browser cache, it has worked for me, really i'm not sure there's a correlation, but now it works

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to FocusCreative22

For me just:

CMD+Option+Shift (command+alt+shift)

"Delete the Photoshop Settings File?" > "YES" and you are done.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to Arpit Kapoor

This worked perfectly for the same problem I had with CS6. Many thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to FocusCreative22

EASY FIX

to fix this is very simple, close photoshop and illustrator,either check the scratch disk "ignore ownership on this volume" by right click on the scratch disk and pick Get Info OR use a software like Onyx to show Hidden files and folders (start onyx go to Finder tab, check Show hidden files and folders) then open your scratch disk and delete .TemporaryItems, on mine i removed a bunch of files that shows  as greyed out files and were created over the years only the .Trashes cannot be deleted but to be on the safe side just deleting the .TemporaryItems will do

restart photoshop now you can use your scratch disk or set it again without getting the error. good day

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points