Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
abenigma
Currently Being Moderated

"not enough memory" error in beta version of CS6

Apr 9, 2012 4:29 AM

Tags: #problem #camera_raw #acr #cs6_error_messages #cs6-beta #cs6-raw

i've installed the CS6 beta and using bridge with Camera RAW (it's a great improvement over the previous version IMO).

my problem is that when i'm trying to save just one file i've processed in Camera RAW into a jpeg (straight from Camera RAW itself) i keep getting "not enough (free) memory" error no matter what i do.

i've tried increasing the maximum allowable cache size, the location of the cache. i'm not sure what i can try, it seems to do the trick for everybody.

the same error doesn't happen in previous version of Camera RAW (the one that came with CS5).

any suggestions would be most welcome!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to abenigma

What kind of system, how much memory, etc.?

I haven't seen the problem on 8gb 64bit Win7 system, using both ACR7 and ACR6.7.  I did notice the two versions of ACR share the same preferences file, caused me some head scratching.  How big of a jpeg are you trying to save?

Also check to make sure the previous version of Bridge is not set to run at logon (Advanced section in Bridge preferences).

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to abenigma

You don't have excess memory for Photoshop/Bridge, and being it's a beta version the code may not have been refined to optimize memory consumption.  Depending upon the type of system your graphics adapter may be consuming a chunk of available memory.

In any event check memory usage in task manager, and also make sure no other programs are running when you're using CS6.  Also check the Performance section of Photoshop preferences, set to at least 70% memory available for Photoshop.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to abenigma

Memory changes in Photoshop affect Bridge also.  Just give it as much as you can to see if it is a memory starvation issue.  The requirements state 1gb RAM, I believe that has to be physical RAM available solely for PS/Bridge.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to abenigma

If you haven't already purge the ACR cache.  I'm officially out of bullets.  As I stated earlier ACR7 and ACR6.7 share the same preference settings, so there should be just once cache for both.

You can always do an uninstall, redownload, and install, lot of time with unknown (probably small) chance of success.

Richard Southworth

BTW, how big is your ACR cache?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to abenigma

Yes, that's enough.  Are you sure there is actually that amount of free space on the disk drive?  Also purge Bridge cache.

Good luck,

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to abenigma

abenigma wrote:

i've never processed more than one RAW file at a time so never had problems with previous versions...

With 2 gigs of ram, your system is pretty ram starved for sure.

How many images are you trying to load into ACR for saving? How are you opening ACR? Hosted by Bridge or Photoshop? If you are only working on raw settings and then saving you might try quiting Photoshop so only ridge is open and open the raw files hosted by Bridge instead of in Photoshop. You would do that by using the keyboard shortcut Control (Win) or Command (Mac) R.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to abenigma

Previously we had only discussed the ACR cache, wasn't sure you had also purged the Bridge cache.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - I also use Bridge/ACR as you described, often bringing in a dozen or more images from Bridge directly to ACR, and saving directly out of ACR for email, etc.  However, I have never run into the memory limit error, with either CS5 or CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to abenigma

abenigma wrote:

With 2 gigs of ram, your system is pretty ram starved for sure.

i never said 2, i said that since it's a 32bit OS i can use only 3GB of the total i have…

That's not what I read in your post #2:

abenigma wrote:

"What kind of system, how much memory, etc.?"

windows 7 32bit, with (usable) 2GB of RAM…

Not being argumentative here, just pointing out that your information has been most confusing so far.

abenigma wrote:

…temp folder set to drive with over 100GB free space.

I assume you're referring to your Photoshop scratch disk file—but that would be irrelevant since you later state that you mostly use ACR hosted by Bridge.

etc.

However, I'm still left with the impression that you are indeed short on memory.

You also come across as unclear as to scratch disk, cache and "temp files" [sic].  My point is that there's maybe not enough sound information here for the Adobe techs to help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to abenigma

You might find the following helpful -- from a thread in the cs6 beta forum "I see CS6 has the same out of memory errror as CS5"

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/985187?tstart=210

"We've been seeing out of memory errors with 32-bit OS + RAW conversion since (at least) 2003.  There's nothing we can do to prevent memory fragmentation with a 32bit RAM address space.  The only way to mitigate this is to lower the amount of RAM you have allocated to PS (to under 1GB) or to upgrade to a 64-bit OS and get more memory."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points