Skip navigation
b16_madman
Currently Being Moderated

BUG: Cannot import video - dynamiclinkmediaserver has encountered an error

Apr 9, 2012 9:22 AM

I'm receiving this error in LR4.1 RC. I was also receiving it when LR4.0 was installed. It's on a mac.

[/Volumes/BuildDisk/builds/DynamicLinkMediaServer1/main/shared/adobe/M ediaCore/ASL/Foundation/Make/Mac/../../Src/DirectoryRegistry.cpp-283]

How do I fix this?

I've tried to import video content from my 5d mark II and it will not import video.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to b16_madman

While we've seen an issue similar to this on Windows, it's not very common on Mac. As a note to what you tried above: "Copied LR4's plist file to desktop to recreate, no fix", you'd actually want to move the file, not copy it. Copying it doesn't do anything.

About "Dynamiclinkmediaserver is NOT running in Activity Monitor", are these other items running in the Activity Monitor:

• dynamiclinkmanager
    • amecommand
    • Adobe QT32 Server

Have you tried importing video from any other source besides your Canon 5D Mark II?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to b16_madman

So these same video files import just fine into the same software on a different computer? That tells us definitively that the issue doesn't come from Lightroom.

You mention that you do have "dynamiclinkmanager" running... What we want to do with that information is restart the computer, before doing anything else, verify that dynamiclinkmanager is NOT running. If it is, close it down, and then retry Lightroom.

Additionally, do you have any video editing software on this computer that you don't have on the other computer (even if it's just different versions)? If so, are there updates available? Or have you tried removing these to see if that corrects the behavior? What other possible differences (generally in installed software and versions of that software) do you have?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Brett N

I installed Lightroom 4 on my iMac June, 2012 and get the same error message. The April 12 post is the last I can find. What was the resolution to this error message in the Mac? Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to llrllr

llrllr, did you try rebooting your computer, checking Activity Monitor for "dynamiclinkmanager" and ending it before trying to import video into Lightroom?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to Brett N

No. Will try. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Brett N

Hi Brett. You can add my name to the list as well.

Here's what I know. I have the same problem as described above.

Untitled.png

I checked and saw dynamiclinkmanager process was running.

I rebooted. logged in. opened activity monitor. no dynamiclinkmanager process running. I opened Lightroom, all is well. I click import. Selected my source. clicked import and bang the above errored showed up again and dynamiclinkmanager was running again. I killed it and was able to import everything in that folder except for the videos.

?

TYIA

Andy

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to aparmley79

I have a slightly different scenario but the same error message.  In my case it's with a video that I...

- already had in LR

- trimmed and exported with Medium quality setting

- imported back into LR stacked with the original (during previous export step)

- attempted to view / play in Loupe view

The video in question is stored on my NAS and is accessed via an AFP file share.  I have not noticed this issue with any other videos yet, even others stored on the same NAS share.

My error message is almost identical aside from the last portion of the path...

dynamiclinkmediaserver has encountered an error.

[/Volumes/BuildDisk/builds/DynamicLinkMediaServer1/main/shared/adobe/M ediaCore/ASL/Foundation/Make/Mac/../../Src/Mac/MacFile.cpp-1104]

After getting this error I cannot view anymore videos until I close and reopen LR.  When I try to view another video before doing so I just see one of the frames from the video that threw the error and a message saying "Video System Error: Unknown message: nextFrame"

edit: added more detail, reworded first sentence.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to digitaloxygen

Hmmm, this might be because something went funny with the clips when they were converted.  LR did not complain when I exported them but when I try to play them back in VLC, Quicktime or any other external player they choke up (freeze) part way through the video.  When I scrub to that same point in the LR grid the thumbnail goes red and I can't see anything past that.

The botched export might be caused by the fact that the NAS share is out of space.  This raises another question though.  Why didn't LR throw an error during export of something went funny with these clips?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to digitaloxygen

When an unanticipated issue is encountered, an adhoc error is generated and it is often mysterious, as is the case with .CPP errors. All accurate error messages are writtten by a programmer about a specific scenario that has been encountered and/or is anticipated during the code writing. Because of the multitude of protocols and security, we don't do much testing with networks and we generally suggest staying away from them where Photoshop and family is involved. We strongly suggest never exporting across a network. We always recommend exporting locally and then move the file over.

Andy, thanks for checking and testing with dynamiclinkmanager. Can you do the same with these two as well?

• amecommand
    • Adobe QT32 Server

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to b16_madman

I had the same problem on oa fresh install of Windows 7 x64 and Lightroom 4.1.  Dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe would crash as soon as the import dialogue was launched, and Lighroom would fail to preview or import video.

I have Windows running on one partition (c:) and all of my user folders that are normally found in c:\users\<username>\ on another partition (d:) in d:\users\.

After a variety of attempts to reset permissions, I re-created the folder c:\users\<username>\documents.  It seems that as long as the directory exists, it runs without problems.  During my next import, Lightrosom created a folder C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Adobe\dynamiclinkmediaserver\6.0.  None of these subfolders contains an actual file.

I'll be honest, Adobe could have written a much more user-friendly error message that would have saved me a few hours of frustration.  Better yet, LR could avoid the necessity of creating a series of empty directories.  I hope this saves someone else the same effort. 

Please post a reply if this works for you, or if anyone knows a way to convince LR to look elsewhere for the documents folder. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to ChadLeGrand

Hi Chad,

Hope you are doing great.

Please check whether you have any anti-virus software is running? if yes then please ensure it has not blocked access to Lightroom's dynamiclinkmanager.exe and dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe files. Add Lightroom as an exception to any such application that you have running.

For more on troublesooting about video issues please check the following knowledge base article.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/troubleshoot-video-issues-lightroo m-4.html

Please let me know in case does not worked for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to Sumit Singh

Try to add read/write permission for your user to this folder: /Users/<User Name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe

It works for me

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 7:56 PM   in reply to S_m_o_g_g

I am experiencing the same problem on my Windows 7 machine.  Tried everything here but still not luck.  When I start LR4.2, I see the following two processes running:

• dynamiclinkmanager.exe
    • dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe

but the dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe closes after a few seconds.  In addition, I don't see these two process running at all:

• amecommand.exe
    • Adobe QT32 Server.exe

I tried manually running the above tow files.  When I run amecommand.exe, I get the same DirectoryRegistry.cpp-283 again.  I total confused now.  Need some major help. 

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to ultragc8

Maybe we should be focusing more on this DirectoryRegistry.cpp-283 error, rather than approaching this as video in general. This error is seen in Premiere Pro and can be caused by a fair number of different causes. This includes user permissions and corrupted preferences. The simplest way to test this would be to simply create a new admin account on the computer, launch Lightroom and import some video files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to Brett N

Hi Brett,

I have the same issue.

Creating a new Admin account and trying to import worked out. How can I solve now on my current real Admin user?

I am on a Mac with Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to m4s4ru

When something works in a different user account, the next thing to do is go through these steps:

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior | User account-specific | Adobe software | Mac OS

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to Brett N

I recently installed Lightroom 4.4 64-bit on a Windows 8 machine. Upon import of videos I receive the same error as others have reported:

"dynamiclinkmediaserver has encountered an error. {..\..\Src\DirectoryRegistry.cpp-283]"

I have spent hours trying all the troubleshooting suggestions I could find on this forum and elsewhere. Nothing fixes the problem. The error occurs regardless of source of the imported files.

I tested the import by adding a second Administrator account and verified that it works fine under that account but permanently changing users is NOT an option for me (nor is reinstalling Windows!).

Please advise how I can fix this problem. Lightroom is my first paid Adobe software and it is unfortunate that my first experience with it has been negative.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to BrentN10

If it works in a different user acoutn, and you don't want to change accounts, the question really becomes, what is different between the two accounts. The only two differences, as far as Adobe and Lightroom are concerned, are the application preferences and the catalog.

The preference files store the settings for the program. These files are created on first launch and are updated each  time you close the application with the current state of the settings. Each user account has their own copy of these files. If you delete these files, then on next launch a new default set of files are created. When you create a new user account and lauch Lightroom, a new default set of these files is created for this account. If you delete these files on your main account, then on the next launch of Lightroom, a new set will be created. So as far as these files are concerned, Lightroom will be the same on both user accounts.

The catalog stores information of the images you work with in Lightroom. Each user account also gets it's own catalog, which is created on first launch as well. If you create a new catalog on your main account, then this is another way you can force Lightroom to be the same on both accounts.

If making the preferences and the catalog the same on both accounts does not fix the behavior, this mean that the cause of the problem is coming from outside of Lightroom itself. The two main categories of where things could be going wrong from this point is third-party applications and permissions.

Third-party applications, just like Lightroom itself, can have settings that are unique, causing them to behave differently between different user accounts. These different behaviors can mean that on one account they behave in such a way as to interfere with another application like Lightroom. We don't know of any program in particular that could be causing this behavior, nor what setting within such an application would be the root cause. In cases like these it is simply best to shut everything off and test Lightroom in a clean enviorment (similar to testing Lightroom in a new user account).

Every file and folder on your computer has a set of permissions for what individual users and groups of users (and the applications being run by those users) are allowed to do, such as reading, writting, or deleting. It is possible that there is a difference between the permissions for your regular user account and the new user account (which gets default settings for all files and folders) that restricts Lightroom's ability to use/read files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to Brett N

Thanks for the prompt reply, Brett.

One thing I noticed throughout my troubleshooting was that AdobeQT32Server ran in Task Manager when importing videos using the working admin account but it NEVER ran in Task Manager when attempting to import videos in my original admin account.

I verified that this file existed in the same location(s) for both accounts and verified that the permissions for it and its containing folders were identical. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Quicktime as suggested by someone.

If you have any further suggestions I'd be eager to give them a shot.

Brett N wrote:

The only two differences, as far as Adobe and Lightroom are concerned, are the application preferences and the catalog.

I deleted preferences and tried new catalogs. Rebooted several times, etc.

it is simply best to shut everything off and test Lightroom in a clean enviorment (similar to testing Lightroom in a new user account).

I disabled all start up and start menu items; stopped all non-Microsoft services. Also tried safe boot. Rebooted several times, etc.

It is possible that there is a difference between the permissions for your regular user account and the new user account (which gets default settings for all files and folders) that restricts Lightroom's ability to use/read files.

I verified that permissions for all folders/subfolders and files were the same between accounts and even used Microsoft's suggested command line tools for bulk permission changes for fixing user accounts that behave differently due to permissions discrepancies.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Lightroom a number of times at different points; (and once even cleaned the registry before reinstalling).

tried importing videos taken by different cameras -- directly from the camera as well as from the harddrive.

None of the above resolved the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to BrentN10

Despite all you've checked, there is still something different between these two accounts. I don't claim to be an expert on these account either. All we know for sure is that Lightroom is not the root of the issue (if it were, it would not work in either account). At this point, we've covered some of the major points in the following document, it's time to try the rest:

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior | User account-specific

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 7:54 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett,

I've already done everything in that article...to no avail.

I decided to move all my settings to the new admin account -- not ideal, but better that spending additional hours troubleshooting and certainly better than reinstalling Windows. It took an entire evening to get my settings properly configured but I think it will be worth the trouble to get Lightroom functioning properly.

Thanks for your assistance.

Now to dive into some photo enhancement...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to BrentN10

Hello from Switzerland,

I needed to do one more step.

The path to the folder "My douments" was missing so I had to restore it.

"How to get My documents back" http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18583-user-folders-restore-defau lt-location.html

dynamiclinkmediaserver is saved in C:/users/username/My Documents/ Adobe/dynamiclinkmediaserver/ on my PC.

lightroom catalogue is saved in My Pictures/

I am not sure if this path is correct or I still have a wrong configuration ? I was looking after it in user/AppData.

Maybe something to add in Troubleshoot unexpected behavior | User account-specific ?

A simple full search for Adobe or dynamiclinkmediaserver in a working account is the first thing to do.

PC build in September 2013 Windows 8 64bits LR 4.4

Windows and myself are very confused how to name "Documents" or "My documents"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points