Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Had found workaround for PGC errors - they are back 2 years later

Apr 9, 2012 8:56 AM

Tags: #cs3 #error #encore #pgc

Hi,

I've been looking through the solutions to pcg errors and not finding what i need.

A couple of years ago I was getting these messages and looked them up here, found a workaround that I've been using since then. All of the sudden the problem is back and none of the workarounds work.

My workflow is as follows:

Create a timeline in Premiere and export as m2v (for dvd) import into encore add menu and burn. This has worked many many times. When it first started happening i employed the workaround of moving the m2v and wav files to a different folder (without the other files). Like I said this has worked for a couple of years. Now I keep getting error message referencing the last few frames of the timeline.

When I bring the m2v file into encore there is an extra approx. 9 minutes of black at the end of the timeline (there should only be 30 seconds of black). When I look at the file in a media player the extra black isn't there.

Does anybody know what to do here? Currently I am reexporting all timelines from premiere as .avi files and will try transcoding them in Encore (this worked the other day), but I have 6 hours worth of footage to retranscode now - so much wasted time.

Please help.

Thanks,

Michelle

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to screen name 89

See if this helps...

Timeline too long (orphans) http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652216?tstart=30

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to screen name 89

>exported the footage from premiere as .avi files and brought into Encore everything worked properly, but this step is a waste of time

I do not do BluRay, only DVD, and I **personally** have never cared to learn the finer points of using the export to DVD option

I always export to AVI and then let Encore do the "best fit" encoding using the automatic setting inside Encore

My understanding is the encoding engine is the same in both products, so I just let Encore do all the work

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to screen name 89

What version of Encore?

I assume you are getting a "real" PGC error, unlike the nebulous PGC errors that the workarounds helped. The extra black is a problem.

Does a previously successful file still work okay?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to screen name 89

Well, CS3 is the version that provided some persistent PGC errors for several of us.

Is the revised video shorter than the old one? Are you adding the revised m2v to the same timeline? Are you bringing it back into Encore with its same filename?

Also, are you bringing the revised file into the "good" folder without the XMPSES file?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to screen name 89

The only time that I have ever seen extra black being added, was when there were Orphans.

Even though you set the Timeline to Export just the WAB, I would stlill check out at the end.

How long is this added extra black?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:28 PM   in reply to screen name 89

the black at the end was 30 seconds long.

In the original post, you said the extra black was 9 minutes. How long is the extra part?

If the file has the extra black it fails; if  not it doesn't? Or...?

yes, it was without the XMPSES file and with the same file name.

I was confused as to whether you are reporting about the old file that worked, or the current file that did not. The test to be clear about is new/revised file that does not work, new project, imported from folder without the xmpses file (and other sidecare files - just the m2v and audio). Does this fail?

For the files that encore kept giving me errors for - I tried many things -

renamed the files, put them in different folders, started new projects and

completely rebuilt them. None of these things worked - they did work in the

past.

I thought we were talking about one file that worked, then was revised, and the reimported file had extra black and did not work. Explain this part again.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 2:37 AM   in reply to screen name 89

I am running cs6 on osx with all current  updates and get these PGC errors on all my projects..

I've tried export again and again since 4 days.. and nothing seems to fix the problem.

I've tried to delete XMPSE, there is no BLACK in movies, with new export files and new Encore projects.. no way.

There is no problem on the indicated frame.

I've tried all that with one unique movie without any menu.

I'm trying now with dynamic library but this is not the way i want to because i need to put two movies on one dvd with different compressions.. if it works i will publish like that cause i just need to publish now but...

Any help ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to dimensioncinq

PGC errors are not all the same. Almost all the PGC errors reported in CS5 and CS6 appear to be "real" errors. I suggest you start a new thread with a title that fits your specific PGC error.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points