Skip navigation
cadillacblues
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign Opacity/Transparency issue

Apr 9, 2012 9:26 AM

Hi everyone. I'm having a problem CS5 with opacity/transparency

when I apply a transparency effect to one element in a design, it seems to overlay the entire design with the light ghost of transparent white. If I delete the element that I've applied the transparency to, the ghost disappears and everything goes back to the normal color/contrast.

It even happens to the design if I apply the transparency to a master and apply that master to a normal page.

I'm working in layers and its doesn't seem to matter. The type of file that the image is doesn't matter either.

I can't seem to figure this out. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks for your help...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to cadillacblues

Change the transparency blend space from EDIT menu

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to cadillacblues

Display Performance . High Quality

View > Overprint Preview

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to cadillacblues

I had the same problem.  Found this:

Blend space

If you apply transparency to objects on a spread, all colors on that spread convert to the transparency blend space you’ve chosen (Edit > Transparency Blend Space), either Document RGB or Document CMYK, even if they’re not involved with transparency. Converting all the colors results in consistency across any two same-colored objects on a spread, and avoids more dramatic color behavior at the edges of transparency. Colors are converted “on the fly” as you draw objects. Colors in placed graphics that interact with transparency are also converted to the blend space. This affects how the colors appear on‑screen and in print, but not how the colors are defined in the document.

Depending on your workflow, do one of the following:

• If you create documents for print only, choose Document CMYK for the blend space.
    • If you create documents for web only, choose Document RGB.
    • If you create documents for both print and web, decide which is more important, and then choose the blend space that matches the final output.
    • If you create a high-resolution print piece that you’ll also publish as a high-profile PDF document on a website, you may need to switch the blending space back and forth before final output. In this case, be sure to reproof the color on every spread that has transparency, and avoid using the Difference and Exclusion blend modes—these modes can change the appearance dramatically.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f86173837 51001ea8cb3f-6e9ca.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points