Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to trksterq

After loading the Nikon View software  I was able to view the files via Nikon view and also using Adobe Bridge and process with ACR. Thanks to all - maybe the moral is - Read the manual and don't assume that everything is the same as previously.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:46 PM   in reply to Jim Omaha

Jim Omaha wrote:

I only use Nikon Transfer to renumbering the file to an id with my preferred format (yyyymmdd-nnnn). LR  will do that but since I have LR3

Not sure if you already know this, but since you said you are going through Adobe Bridge, Bridge CS5 has a powerful Tools > Batch Rename command (better than Lightroom's rename in some ways), so that you don't have to rename with Lightroom or Nikon Transfer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:02 AM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

Conrad Chavez wrote:

Jim Omaha wrote:

I only use Nikon Transfer to renumbering the file to an id with my preferred format (yyyymmdd-nnnn). LR  will do that but since I have LR3

Not sure if you already know this, but since you said you are going through Adobe Bridge, Bridge CS5 has a powerful Tools > Batch Rename command (better than Lightroom's rename in some ways), so that you don't have to rename with Lightroom or Nikon Transfer.

Very true. I've not bothered to even install any Nikon software on my computer - no need as the various Adobe applications do the same job, and often more efficently too. You could also use the Adobe Photodownloaded (comes with Bridge/PS) to transfer files from the card to your hard drive (or LR, as ssprengel notes); no need to even use Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.

M

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to trksterq

So D800 RAW finally worked when the ACR 6.7 update came along, then I upgraded to CS6, got ACR 7 and again it doesn't work. Slightly disappointed here. :-(

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to iJoost7

ACR 7.0 does not have support for the D800 or D800e, but ACR 7.1 does. If you would like, you can download ACR 7.1RC from the adobe labs. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw7-1/ Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to adriana ohlmeyer

Ah well... I guess I'll have to do another RC then. ;-)

Thank you for the pointer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to iJoost7

No problem, let me know if it works for you!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to adriana ohlmeyer

Well, it's midnight here... so I won't be doing much "testing" right now. But sofar it did open a NEF correctly for me. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 6:37 PM   in reply to iJoost7

Great! Thank you for letting us know. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to adriana ohlmeyer

I installed PSCS6 which on Snow Lepord which worked, but when I installed ACR 7.1 in Snow Lepord PSCS6 would no longer open. Error was program corrupted or incomplete.

If I upgrade to Lion than my network to PCs fail due to Apples change in Samba.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to adriana ohlmeyer

I have downloaded and installed ACR 7.1 but it is only partially functional with regards to my D800 NEFs.  For example, in the Filmstrip workspace, it will generate thumbnails of the NEFs and, when double-clicked, ACR is launched and I can post-process the NEF.  However, when I simply select a particular NEF, a preview of the image does not appear only a generic NEF icon.  I tried to insert a screen capture showing this but was informed that this type of content wasn't allowed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Chazmi

Download and install S-NEFCDC-011400WF-ALLIN-ALL___.exe

from WWW.NikonUSA.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to Chazmi

ACR only supports interpretation of NEFs within an Adobe product.  When you are using a file selection dialog to choose files, this is Adobe using an OS-level function, not Bridge or Photoshop, so you will need an update to the OS or provide it an OS-level plug-in to show the previews, with the link in the other reply being a possible choice.

If you are saying that Previews within an Adobe product are not showing, perhaps the ACR cache needs cleared.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to ssprengel

I'm stuck here too, I have a new iMac,  the Adobe Photoshop suite Cs5 and a new nikon D800.  I can't open my nef files either, not in PS, Bridge, Lightroom.   I've tried to install ACR 7.1 and I'm told I don't need it by an error.  I installed the earlier version of ACR and that doesn't help.  So now what?  I got lost and missed the solution to the problem.

----------------

Ok, humble pie here.  Apparently I can't read the difference between 6.1 and 6.7.  6.7 did work.  Sigh, oh my tired brain.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Cosmichrist

Cosmichrist wrote:

the difference between 6.1 and 6.7

Well, to be fair 1 and 7 are both straightish runes with a little tab coming off the top. 

Glad to hear you're up and running.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers