Skip navigation
starchild2008
Currently Being Moderated

Can Adobe Premieres multicam editor do this?

Apr 9, 2012 4:13 PM

Just to be clear, im an Adobe diehard but I see no reason we should lack features.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to starchild2008

Agreed. We all hope and pray for more advanced multicam capabilities built into PRO CS6.

NAB 2012 is just round the corner so possess your soul in patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:27 PM   in reply to starchild2008

Add me to the list of people who'll probably be excited with the new stuff in CS6 regardless, but super annoyed if multicam is still squatting at 4 tracks.    

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Ditto.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to starchild2008

One has to keep in mind the absudrity of this video. I shall be that guy. This is a mediocre music video shot in an abandon warhouse. Did they really need anymore than 8 cameras? If I had my own production company and we had 32 Panasonic P2 style cameras I can not see using them all  for this one music video. It would be hard to view anymore than 8 cameras simultaneously any way. Having said that how often would most video productions make useof more than 8 cameras? I admit I would like to see Premiere Pro CS 6 support for 8 camera angles. Most good music videos are scripted (like a movie as oppsed to a live performace) and can be done with just one camera although having two or three different angles would not hurt. The process of editing the multi cam sequence in FCP X did not seem any better than Premiere Pro. FCP X supports more camera angles but then you have to have FCP X waste time creating proxy files in order to play back that many camera angles. I imagine PP CS 5.5 would as well but who knows for sure?

How often do you need 32 different camera angles? Did this music video need 32 camera angles?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to medeamajic

I wouldn't necessarily make the call for 32 myself.

But 8 sure would fill a lot of needs.  Hell even 6 would be a welcome improvement.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to medeamajic

How often do you need 32 different camera angles? Did this music video need 32 camera angles?

Dunno, but needing it just once would be reason enough for a director to say "let's find a tool that lets us work how we need to work."

Personally, I've rarely needed more than 4 camera angles in a single cut sequence, but when I did need it, Premiere Pro had no simple way to do it. There are workarounds, but of course this hasn't been an issue in other editors. Premiere Pro was one of the first to offer a truly useful multicam editing solution but it has remained virtually unchanged ever since. I'm assuming it is rectified in CS6. If it's not, that would obviously be a disappointment.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Keep in mind the guy even stated the auto syncing feature of FCP X works sometimes but in this case he had to sync it all manualy. That is a lot of camera angles to sync and have renderd into proxy files.  I think it was a waste of time and if they were to do it again I bet they would not use so many cameras. Even having 14 $8,000.00 cameras for this music video shoot  is over kill in my opinion. I can see using 8 cameras and allowing the other cameras  to be used to shoot something else but maybe they didn't have any other paying gigs that day.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to medeamajic

For most of my shoots I don't have to worry about sync. I sync free run TC on all the cameras and use a clapboard for offboard audio sync. Syncing in Premiere Pro is a simple matter of syncing the TC across cameras and then lining up the offboard audio waveform. Takes maybe 1 or 2 minutes, no automatic sync detection required.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

We agree. Auto sync works sometime and other times it does not. It is best to have a manual method to rely on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

I hope something like the Sneak Peek from MAX 2011 makes it into CS6

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-sneak-peeks/max-2011-sneak-peek-aut omatic-synchronization-of-crowd-sourced-videos-/

There were allot of Sneek Peeks that looked cool.

One of my favorite ones was the RubbaDub for doing speach replacement.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to starchild2008

"Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 offers expanded multicam support, effectively allowing you to work with as many cameras as you have on your shoot. Previously, it was possible to work with multicam footage from four cameras. Now, you're limited only by the formats you're working with and the power of your editing machine."

Sounds like Adobe didn't want to put a number on it, so they said "The hell with it.  Use as many angles as your CPU and disk system can handle".  So I guess the answer to the question posed in the thread title is...Yes, it can.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:34 PM   in reply to starchild2008

If what you say is true and they had 4 cameras then what I said still stands. They would have been shooting for take one and then stoping to move the cameras for take two. In the end they may have to do 8 takes (4 X 8 = 32) to get the 32 angles. What a waste of time using this method would be. Keep in mind each take the chick singing has to be in sync with the CD music. What a hassle this method would be. In my opinion it is just as stupid to have the crew there setting up the different cameras angles each time as it would be to have 32 cameras to get right it in one take. Not to mention even CS 5.5 might have to make use of proxy files to edit 32 camera angles.

I also want to say that editing 32 camera angles is not a basic feature. In fact most switchers will not even accept that many cameras because there is no need for it. Also you would loose track of all the camera angles any way. PP CS 6.0 might get support for 32 different camera angles but what will you do if it only gets support for 8 cameras? If you have not had the need for 32 different camera angles thus far then I doubt you ever will. Having said that you would actualy consider using FCP X on a day to day basis for something that might happen? What about how good Premiere Pro works for all the things that do happen on a day to day basis? I don't think you are being logical or realistic. In fact I think if you opted for FCP X you would end up taking one very tiny step forward while at the same time taking ten Giant leaps backwards. Having said that if the FCP X multicam has impressed you I say go for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:44 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I didn't know where Jim got his info. Did a quick google search and found this PDF with "what's new in CS6":

http://success.adobe.com/assets/en/downloads/guides/Pr_CS6_WN_Reveal.p df

Looks like some wishes were granted. Might want to grab that PDF before the site disappears (or not...who knows...sometimes this stuff gets launched prematurely and disappears but then again, NAB starts this weekend)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Adobe granted me a sneak peak at CS6 and Im pretty sure it will surprise and delight everyone. PrP and AE have worked on the basics and added new tools. I am so excited to see everyones reaction at NAB this year.

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1203_16108_nab.html

Christian, the PDF wont disapper. In fact, here are a few more links to info about CS6...

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/04/premiere-pro-cs6-wh ats-new-and-changed.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/04/after-effects-cs6-whats-new -and-changed.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/insidesound/2012/04/whats-new-in-adobe-audition -cs6.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to starchild2008

Duplicate content deleted.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 4:41 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Yep, I just noticed the forum change to include CS6 so I figured the PDF wasn't a mistake (also just saw that PPro ends AE posted it on Facebook). Lots of good surprises, the nails are really going into the FCP coffin.

starchild2008, you need to read the PDF and stop despairing. For what it's worth though, just because one NLE has a feature that another doesn't is usually not a reason to totally bail. Every NLE has strengths and weaknesses (although PPro CS6 appears to have lost most of its weaknesses)

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to starchild2008

starchild2008 wrote:

I think the video displayed less of a practical use for 32 different angles on a shoot, and was more of a performance display, like "hey, look what we can do." In my humblest of opinions, multicam editing is a basic feature that shouldn't be limited to only 4 tracks. Sony Vegas, Avid MC and FCPx can edit 9-32 tracks, so I see absolutely no reason my favorite 'go to' editor can only do 4 angles. Despite how much I love all things adobe, when the lack of features hinder my creativity, I look for alternatives that can get the job done. The sad truth is that unless CS6 can handle more than 4 angles, if you want to do serious multicam editing, you have to use other software.

The fact I cant recommend Adobe Premiere for something involving video is killing me, especially since every other mainstream editor can get it done. There is no reason Sony Vegas should be allowed to outperform Adobe Premiere.

Everyone agrees 4 camera angles is not enough but when would anyone really need 32? Having said that we both posted before the info about PP CS 6.0 was released. It looks like PP CS 6.0 can support at least 16 different camera angles. It may support even more but for me16 camera angles is more than enough. Even if it only had support for 8 camera angles I would opt for Premiere Pro over any of the other video editing programs because of the tight integration with all the other Adboe products and that is a feature I myself us every day but then again everyone will have different needs.

For me the fact that AE can now use raytracing as a render engine is a huge plus. Better support for Illustrator files is another big plus.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to medeamajic

I show 9 multicam angles in this video:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-13065.htm

I've used 16 without any problems, and our testers have pushed it further in stress tests.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points