Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AAaargh!  Ai prefs file becomes 'corrupted' several times a day.  Please help.

Apr 10, 2012 10:44 AM

I get the following error several times a day.... after I reboot Illustrator due to it's horrible, buggy, design.  I've been putting up with this for 17 years.... multiple version.anyway.... now I am getting this error constant

I see where corrupted fonts can cause this.... so I just uninstalled my Biststream Font Navigator... and installed Extensis Suitcase Fusion 3 - - - because they said it could discover corrupted fonts.  It did discover a single font, which I deleted. 

Still getting the error.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Windows 7 Pro

Asus motherboard

Intel i7

Ram: 12 gb

Hard drives: 3 internal

Graphics Card: Nvidia GT8000

ai prefs error.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Todd-sta

Suitcase Fusion also is the cause of a lot of trouble with Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to Todd-sta

I use Font Agent Pro it will even find corrupted fonts lets you know about duoplicate fonts and seems to get along very well with Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to Todd-sta

Todd, be sure that you're using the most current version of Suitcase Fusion 3. If you need assistance with diagnosing this issue, please contact Extensis support. It's free for registered users: http://www.extensis.com/support

Jim Kidwell

Extensis

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to Todd-sta

Todd, that really shouldn't be happening. Even with the demo, you are welcome to contact our support team. It may be a conflict with another piece of software on your system, or even yet something else unknown. If it's our software, we really want to know about how it's affecting your unique setup. Please contact the support guys. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Todd-sta

I woud think so I can't imagine the system needs all thous fonts to function. I an see maybe times Roman or something very common but not what you are showing.

I would say yes but if you feel insecure about it do a search about the subject Replacing System Fonts Or Corrupt Syystem Fonts.

Actually I do not think they are system fonts but rather fonts installed witht the system.

But do a search you can even do a search for Can Calibri Bold be Removed from a Windows 7 install.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Todd-sta

First of all do you have any plug ins?

This could be a permission problem in which one or all of the folders with in the setings folder are not being written to hence the error, though that usually results in a crash.

More likely a conflict.

Try this create a New User account, and I know this might be a pain but if you want to find the issue this might be the only way I know. Then log into that use account and only use Illustrator, no browser or email clients no other apps at all.

When you want to use the other apps unfortunately you will have to log into your older account, the one you use now. Do this for a couple or three days and if the problem does no pop up hen there is a conflict or corruption in your preferences or with aanother application or both.

If it shows up again then you have a font problem most likely and regardless of the fact that Font Agent did not find the font you will have to troubleshoo the fonts yourself that is not so easy but not so hard.

Let us know if there are plug ins you use or if not if it how it went with the new user account!

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

If preferences continutally become corrupt, it may be a sign of a bad hard drive or SATA bus.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 6:00 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Scott has very good point even if the drive(s) in question is new. It's lighter very good suggestion.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points