Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Annotated PDF file not saved, + "System Error"

Apr 10, 2012 1:36 PM

Tags: #problem #annotations #ios #reader #ipad2

A few issues with the newly updated Adobe Reader app for the iPad (April 10, 2012):

1- I can mark-up a PDF with the annotation tools (pen, highlighting, underlining, etc) and then hit SAVE.  When I then re-open the PDF, I do not see my comments/mark-ups,

2- From within the Adobe Reader app -- when I try the "open-in" (to another application), I receive a pop-up message:  "A system error was encountered."

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to SGFilipe1022

Hi Steven,

I'll send you a private message and perhaps I can try this with the document you are using. I haven't seen this behavior before. Thanks!

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:38 PM   in reply to SGFilipe1022

Hi SGFilipe1022,

In step 1, are you using Adobe Reader?  It doesn't sound like it, since Adobe Reader doesn't have an explicit SAVE button.

In step 2, could you confirm which "other app" you're selecting from the Ope In.. menu?

Thanks,

-Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to SGFilipe1022

Hi SGFilipe1022,

Thanks for the information.  Pat confirmed to me that he's looking into this issue, so we have enough information to investigate.

Regards,

Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to SGFilipe1022

I'm having the same problem, the annotations I made are missing when I send the edited file by email or open it in other apps. All the annotations show within adobe reader app. If I can't send the file with my annotations is useless.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Luis Carlos Gotti

Luis,

I think the problem you describe is different. For SGFilipe1022, the issue is that while in Reader, the annotations are not visible after closing and opening the document within Adobe Reader. However, in your case I suspect that what you are seeing is that not all PDF Readers support the viewing of comments and markups. In particular, the previewer in Apple's Mail program for iOS does not render comments. Similarly, most PDF Readers on iOS use the device's built-in rendering to show PDFs. This also does not support viewing of annotations.

Can you please tell me where you are viewing the PDF after editing it in Reader? This will help me confirm (or disprove) my suspicion.

Thanks!

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

Of course your suspicion is correct, the annotated and form-filled PDF files can only be properly read on Mac or PC. They do not show up in the viewer on an iPad or an iPhone.

Here is the solution to this problem. As they have done in the Goodreader app, you need to add a "flatten annotations" function in Adobe Reader when exporting annotated PDFs. 

It works like a charm, and is a much better solution than "hoping and praying"  the recipient of my annotated PDF file views it on a desktop computer, rather than seeing a blank form on their mobile device.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to Gaurav Jain (GJ)

Any progress on this issue? I am having the same problem. Having carefully annotated my Uni notes, I found that the latest (not all thank heavens) annotations disappear when I return to view the document (still in Reader for iPad) after leaving it to view a different PDF from the documents menu. I seem to be unable to add any more notes, although those already there remain consistently. Is there a limit to how much you can add?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

I am facing a similar problem. I did a lot of marks and comments. When I reopen the file the first time, these changes still contained there. But to reopen, all the notes were gone. I don't know what to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Larize Villarroel

Larize,

From your other posts on this forum, it seems like you aren't using Adobe Reader on iOS that is available on the iPad and iPhone. Are you using the Windows Phone, tablet or desktop?

Thanks

Shradha

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to Shradha Budhiraja

Desktop! I use Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:20 AM   in reply to Larize Villarroel

I've moved your question that was started as a new thread to the correct forum. This forum is only meant for questions related to Adobe Reader for iOS.

Shradha

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points