Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

effect for blood or splattering ???  Elements 10

Apr 11, 2012 8:54 AM

Hi all Elements 10 user here.

I was wondering if there was any kind of effect I could use in the the current Elements 10 that would mimic say a horror red blood splattering???  I was thinking of something such as some sort of red hitting the camera, or flying on to it???  Is this possible?

I know you can make a scene sort of all red (like with Gamma correction?  I forget how to do this?) but is there anything that would sort of do this kind of?

It's probably too much to ask, but If there was something there effect wise that would work I'd love to know.

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to elvideo123

This is much easier in After Effects.

However, you could easily create a semi-transparent graphic of a red splatter (by scanning a splattered piece of paper into Photoshop Elements and deleting the white background, then saving it as a PSD) and then placing it on a video track above your video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

It might also help to play around with the opacity of the splatters.  I think they will be more convincing if they are a little transparent.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to elvideo123

I like Steve's idea of creating what you want in Photoshop Elements. There, you can change the color of your "spatter." You can also do several versions of it, by masking out elements of it, to make it look like much more, and hitting different parts of the screen and camera.

Some Transparency/Opacity adjustment is also a good suggestion.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to elvideo123

I do not know of any plug-in, that will do what you want.

Alien Skin, a 3rd party FX company, has several for AfterEffects, that create "natural" FX, such as fur, fire, etc., but I do not recall any "blood splatters." Also, I do not recall them doing an of their FX for PrE.

You might also do some searchs for stock video footage, that has an Alpha Channel, to provide a Transparent background. Might be just what you are looking for?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is another thought.  Create a title, but erase the text and introduce a bunch of circles/ovals to be your splatter.  Then shift-select all of the spatters, and apply a deep red color to them.  Then go to opacity and make them a bit transparent.  This really only works if your camera is still in the shot.  You could even do two sets of splatters--a set of transparent ones on the camera, and a set of opaque ones to be on the surfaces in the shot.  One of the drawbacks to this approach is you can only do circles and ovals, which don't look that spatter-like.  But it could work for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to JPete617

And you can apply the "paint splatter" transition to the beginning of it.  I just tried it out--with a still camera, it's not bad at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to JPete617

If one has Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, then many different Shapes can be created on a Transparent Background. One can also create, or probably find a Brush with different "droplet" shapes. It would be easy to add some Emboss, and even Lighting to make the surface look slightly reflective.

Once the Save_As PSD, or PNG (to support the Transparency easily) is Imported into PrE, and dragged to the Timeline, just like with a Title, the Scale (growing larger, as they get closer to the camera), and Position can be Keyframed over time, so that they move, and change size. With the Transparent Background, they can cross each other, in the air.

Good idea,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points