Skip navigation
lkbrockman3
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot restore from backup

Apr 11, 2012 3:04 PM

Tags: #lightroom #error #catalog #3 #restore #lightroom4 #backups

I have not been able to restore my catalog(s) using the Backups.  My computer crashed and will not start up.  So I am thinking, whew – good thing my original image files and backups are stored on a separate (and unaffected) hard drive (plus 2 additional backups of all of this).  Until I tried to restore my catalog from the backups. 

According to Adobe, this should be relatively simple.  So, as I am contemplating what to do with the crashed computer, I decide to check the Lightroom backups just to ensure that work fine.  They don't.  And I don't know why. 

Here’s what happens . . . .If I try to open the backup catalogs on my laptop (a separate computer from the one that crashed) without moving them from their current location/folders (in backup folders on the hard drives) I get an error message that says the catalog file is not writable (due to incorrect permissions or because another Lightroom application is using the catalog). 

If I move the catalog backup to the laptop (to a folder location that has unrelated functioning catalogs), I get a message that says the folder cannot be found.  UGGGHHH.

I have tried to restore 3 separate LR3 catalogs.  I have not attempted to restore the LR4 catalogs yet.

Thank you for any help any guidance or advice on these issue and restoring the catalogs.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to lkbrockman3

Here’s what happens . . . .If I try to open the backup catalogs on my laptop (a separate computer from the one that crashed) without moving them from their current location/folders (in backup folders on the hard drives) I get an error message that says the catalog file is not writable (due to incorrect permissions or because another Lightroom application is using the catalog). 

This is easily fixed, change the permissions, or remove the .lock file in the same folder as the catalog. (By the way, it would be helpful if you could quote the exact error message in the future)

If I move the catalog backup to the laptop (to a folder location that has unrelated functioning catalogs), I get a message that says the folder cannot be found.  UGGGHHH.

Without knowing which folder is being referred to, and without seeing the exact error message, this one is hard to decipher.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points