Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After upgrading to LR 4 clean up help

Apr 11, 2012 5:23 PM

OK, really just need some support here.  Upgrade from LR2.7 to LR 4 went well (except, of course, that I can't see all my photos in the 'All Images' parent folder in the Library - but I can live with that until LR 4.1 final is released).  Now I want to get rid of all the 'leftovers' in my Lightroom folder from 2.7 and do some nice clean backups to my three ext HDS.   I know/believe I can dump (delete) ALL of the previews for the 2.7 catalogs, right? 

So, is it OK/recommended to delete the LR4 previews, too?  I don't contemplate ever needing to return to 2.7.

More info:  When I do backups it includes ALL of my Lightroom folders:  All Images (originals), catalogs, settings, backups.  That way I have everything I need to work on a different computer if we're on the road.

I hope this makes sense to you - I just want to get rid of everything I don't really need to carry forward from here . . .

By now, you've realized I'm a computer doofus (old and confused is my natural state!) and just don't want to screw up my program . . .  I depend of the 'kindness of friends' and have certainly found it on this forum . . .

joia

ps  Incidentally, I have only one drive on my computer:  C.     If I had another, I could stick something over there that I needed to keep - but I don't have one . . .

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to justjoia

If you're not planing on using LR2.7 anymore, you can delete the 2.7 catalogs. Catalogs are never dependant on each other. Why not move them to some other place for a while and delete them when you feel comfortable with how things work for you?

Beat

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to justjoia

Hi Joia,

Regarding your question about previews:

That is a matter of taste: patience vs. performance.

Previews is something that LR will create on demand, e.g. when you look at one image in Library-Loupe view.

When you do so the image needs to be online, so if your three external HDs are not plugged in this will not be possible.

Personally I prefer to have all previews with me on my laptop, while the bunch of my images resides on a network storage, so unavailable when I travel.

But thanks to my previews I can still show offline images.

For this I have specified my standard size fairly generous (1680 pixels, preview quality high - you do this in catalog settings, file handling).

When doing backups of my Lightroom stuff I always exclude the previews folder, as this 95 GB big for a catalog of 92'000 images.

LR can rebuild it any time, albeit this takes many hours, more than just 1 night.

I would perhaps ditch your LR2.7-previews since I do not know if LR4 can directly make use of this version any more

and invest the hours to let LR4 build new previews (Select All Photographs from Library, then menu Library - Previews - Render Standard Sized Previews). LR will scan existing previews and build ones for the rest. You can work in parallel with LR, but it may be slowed down due to this activity.

When you have verified that your last 2.7-catalog is ok to open it is sufficient to just keep this version a while safely stowed away.

Same for your future LR4 backups: verify once in a while that they open ok and then delete the older ones.

Have fun,

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points