Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
davemonskidog
Currently Being Moderated

DNG Converter 6.7 doesn't "see" my CR2 files

Apr 11, 2012 8:29 PM

I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit and had no trouble with 6.6 (or whatever the released version is).  I got a 5D Mark III and wanted to get my pictures into Elements 10 that I bought in January so I tried this beta version.  Oddly this worked right after I installed the DNG Converter 6.7 but after the first night it doesn't work despite reboots, uninstalls, re-downloads, reinstalls, and so on.  I see folks complaining about similar who have Vista but no others for Win7.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,506 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to davemonskidog

You've used about 5% too few words, I think, because what you're saying is kind of ambiguous...  What "doesn't work", specifically?

Are you hoping to see your file thumbnails in the folder selection dialog?  You never will, because the DNG converter is asking you to select the folder alone.  It does not strive to show you the files within.

Choose the folder in which your raw files exist, and even though the file dialog looks blank, just tell it to go ahead.  It will convert the files.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,506 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to davemonskidog

Ok, fair enough.  It's difficult sometimes to know what level of proficiency someone is at initially.

This is what the DNG converter 6.5 looks like...

DNGConverter.jpg

You're saying you don't have the button I've circled in red here?  First thing that comes to mind (for obvious reasons) is to ask what size screen you're running it on.

I'm going to go install the 6.7 pre-release version myself and see what it looks like.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,506 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to davemonskidog

Dave, images attached to eMails don't get back into the forum, so I can't see the screen grab you tried to post. 

Use the web interface for showing images:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4333237

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,506 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to davemonskidog

Interesting...  I'm thinking something's wrong with the window metrics on your desktop, which is causing the client area to be made too small.

Compare what you have shown to this, which is the 6.7 RC on my system:

DNGConverter67.jpg

Notice your fonts are much larger than mine.  What are your settings in the Control Panel \ Appearance and Personalization \ Display?

Also, have you chosen a desktop font other than the default Segoe UI font?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,506 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to davemonskidog

Well, to be fair it's something the Adobe folks really should make work right.  I know I always test my applications with all the accessibility settings.

I happen to like the chrome and fonts to be as small as possible on my desktop, so Adobe's approaches tend to agree with me, but I have good eyesight (with my glasses on) and excellent monitors.  Not everyone has the same situation!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points