Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Whats new in Adobe CS6 Production Premium? Im glad you asked!

Apr 11, 2012 9:39 PM

CS6 will surprise and delight everyone here. PrP and AE have worked on the basics and added new tools. I am so excited to see everyones reaction at NAB this year.

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1203_16108_nab.html

Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Hey Craig...

"New additions are Adobe SpeedGrade™

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:10 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Man, I'm only half way through the page and I already want it NOW!

You're right, a lot of concerns voiced in these forums have been addressed.  After NAB, it's going to be Final Cut Who?  Avid Media What?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Oh my God, PP finally got Adjustment Layers.

That's HUGE!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to lasvideo

I saw that.  It's not quite what I was hoping for, which is that same performance minus the need to spend extra money on third-party hardware, and instead just using the "already there" graphics card for proper external monitoring.

But it's definitely a step forward that I'm sure many post houses will love.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:52 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Here's more detail beyond the link that Tom gave:

Premiere Pro CS6: what's new and changed
    After Effects CS6: what's new and changed

Audition CS6: what's new and changed

I'll be posting _much_ more detail on the team blogs over the next several days, and the posts at the links above will grow to include links to the feature-specific posts.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

The best news to me is that PP CS 6.0 makes use of Open CL and AE can now make use of true 3-D animation by implementing a raytracing engine. I wish Adobe would buy Carrara Pro from DAZ3D. Carrara rocks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to medeamajic

Although it doesn't affect me since I have Nvidia gear, I do wonder about the Open CL utilization...all the current docs seem to indicate that as a Mac solution. It doesn't specifically exclude utilizing ATI cards on PC, but every mention of Open CL and ATI seems closed to Mac usage. Guess we'll know more soon. I know a lot of people were wanting the ATI cards to be utilized.

All I have to say really, is SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/241/9e9.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Will I still need plural eyes for automatic audio sync with dual sound/hdslr recordring (without TC)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to carl nes

> all the current docs seem to indicate that as a Mac solution. It doesn't specifically exclude utilizing ATI cards on PC, but every mention of Open CL and ATI seems closed to Mac usage

For now, Premiere Pro CS6 will use OpenCL on the following:

AMD Radeon HD 6750M and AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics card with 1GB VRAM in MacBook Pro computers running Mac OSX v10.7

That information is here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/04/premiere-pro-cs6-wh ats-new-and-changed.html

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo wrote:

And Adobe Transmit allows regular sequences to send SDI signals thru AJA, Matrox and BMD for display on external monitors or sent to tape machines. All with CUDA goodness and smooth playback.

Adobe Mercury Transmit!

Pop the champagne and break out the credit card!

PopChampagne.jpg

Now... the debate on which card to use begins.

Who's it gonna be?  Jul 22, 2011

And even though it isn't exactly what he wants... a special toast for Jim Simon.

A Proper Monitoring Solution  Sep 9, 2011

Adjustment Layers!!!

Global Performance Cache!!!

Raytrace Engine!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to carl nes

<p>&gt; Will I still need plural eyes for automatic audio sync with dual sound/hdslr recordring (without TC)?</p>

It does not sound like this tool or similar tool got integrated into premiere or audition.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Now... the debate on which card to use begins.

Debate is over for me...Blackmagic Design has products that have intrigued me for a while and now it's a no-brainer since I don't have to worry about sequence format and transferability between editors. Blackmagic stuff is also some of the most affordable and is still good quality. AJA probably makes the best stuff in the low end range but it's still above my range.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to lasvideo

This release appears to be an incredibly exciting one and congratulations to the entire Adobe team.

Cant wait to get amongst it. (especially ....Speedgrade!)

Be curious how backwardly compatible it is with CS5.5 Projects but assume that it wont be an issue.

Be keen to see what others are considering for "new hardware" to accompany this release. ( Maybe a thread could be started in this regard)

My order is going into my Adobe dealer today whatever.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva
    For now, Premiere Pro CS6 will use OpenCL on the following:

Prefacing your statement with "For now" is very encouraging.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to lasvideo

"thanks to the enhanced Mercury Playback Engine, the new Uninterrupted Playback feature lets you make color corrections while your footage plays."

I love that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

"thanks to the enhanced Mercury Playback Engine, the new Uninterrupted Playback feature lets you make color corrections while your footage plays."

I love that.

Yep, that's going to be awesome. I seriously have 2 projects starting NEXT WEEK on the edit bay and I can't tell you how excited I would be if the CS6 upgrade was in place in time for those projects. I can already see about a 15-20% time savings on those projects just with a handful of the features being touted for the new release.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to shooternz

Be keen to see what others are considering for "new hardware" to accompany this release. ( Maybe a thread could be started in this regard)

It has already been started: http://ppbm6.com/Planning.html and http://www.videoguys.com/Blog/E/Planning+a+new+NLE+system+part+1/0xea8 3dda5e1137a11d5a49ed0f2fc97c1.aspx

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to lasvideo

is this mayor bug from CS 5.5 (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3935647) repaired in CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to pvpcom20

> is this mayor bug from CS 5.5 (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3935647) repaired in CS6?

Yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to lasvideo

I hope I just missed it, but please tell me we can use more than 4 cameras in multi-cam like every other pro editor out there. We've been holding out on this for years.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Toomany3

Take a look at this tute by Todd http://www.video2brain.com/en/play-product-321.htm#/?video_id=13065

And he has many more very nice presentations on the new features.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Currently Matrox recommends roling back the Nvidia driver for display and proper monitoring solutions. They accuse Nvidia of a bad driver,, so even the newly released Mojito and the MX 02 needs an ancient driver to use in CS5.5..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I hope they implemented "no auto save while image plays."  That is very annoying.

Jim Simon wrote:

I love that.

I also don't see any mention of being able to save or copy and paste audio filter settings.  That's a very needed, and I would say basic function.

However, I am so looking forward to getting my hands on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to srukweza

srukweza wrote:

Currently Matrox recommends roling back the Nvidia driver for display and proper monitoring solutions. They accuse Nvidia of a bad driver,, so even the newly released Mojito and the MX 02 needs an ancient driver to use in CS5.5..

I don't know, what this has to do with the topic, but it isn't an actual information anyway. look at

http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=7989

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to lasvideo

I'll be upgrading for Speed Grade. I wonder if the adjustment layers and custom buttons will function like Avid's?

I'm hoping they have some kind of shortcut to add transitions without having to drag them from the effects panel. If you could assign them a custom button that would be a huge time saver.

Otherwise having to upgrade every year or two is kind of expensive!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Islanders66

I'm hoping they have some kind of shortcut to add transitions without having to drag them from the effects panel. If you could assign them a custom button that would be a huge time saver.

You can now double-click an effects and it will add it to all selected clips on the timeline. That's a new feature to CS6. However, there have always been shortcuts for the default transitions for audio tracks and video tracks, and you can specify what the default transitions are (as well as the default duration). That functionality has been around for almost a decade in Premiere Pro. As far as I know, there are no shortcut options beyond the default transition (which, again, you can select from ANY transitions).

Otherwise having to upgrade every year or two is kind of expensive!

Yeah, it is, but if you're using it as a basis for your employment - or self-employment - then it should only require a couple of gigs to pay it off, and usually the features in each version do help to justify the upgrade cost in terms of time savings alone (Mercury certainly paid for itself in my books, very quickly, too).

There's also the Creative Cloud option where you can pay-as-you-go, only subscribing for the software on those months where you know you will need it for a certain project or projects. If you're not using the software frequently, that may be your best option.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Christian Jolly, did you not read my first sentance where I plan to upgrade for SpeedGrade? Or did you forget that by the end of my post?

As I said the abilty to apply a custom transition to a button like you can in Avid would be huge. I'm aware of applying defult transitons, changing the default duration, etc.  Still, I would like to see more options for saving preset transitions and the ability to apply them. I don't think this is a lack of comprehention on my part, as your post implies,  but a lack of function on the progrmas part, or is there some way to save preset transitions that I"m not aware of?

I understand the increased productivity with each upgrade. I just bought this less than a year ago and already time to upgrade before I've been able to pay for the software. I think people will need to consider the accelerated upgrade cost when trying to get started. Maybe have a break on the first upgrade within a year of purchase, but it's more important to you for Adobe to make more millions than for the little guy to catch a break every now and then?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:39 PM   in reply to Islanders66

I understand the increased productivity with each upgrade. I just bought this less than a year ago and already time to upgrade before I've been able to pay for the software. I think people will need to consider the accelerated upgrade cost when trying to get started. Maybe have a break on the first upgrade within a year of purchase, but it's more important to you for Adobe to make more millions than for the little guy to catch a break every now and then?

Its not compulsory or obligatory to upgrade.  Many do not do so on every advance  and stick with a version they can afford or are comfortable with.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to shooternz

"Its not compulsory or obligatory to upgrade.  Many do not do so on every advance  and stick with a version they can afford or are comfortable with."

I had that much figured out.  Try reading my first sentence where I'm upgrading for SPEED GRADE!!

Thanks for both of you for ruining my experince of posting here.

In fact I would appreciate no more condesending and negative comments directed at me. If you have something to contribuite to the subject, please do state them without latching onto me.  Keep in mind I was just posting my observations on the new release of 6.0 of which I own the Master Suite. If you want to take your problems out on someone please go some place else that is more suitable for imature behavior. Otherwise I'm not responding to any more trolls.

There was considerable backlash with Adobe's most recent upgrade strategy. I stated my perspective. If you have a differnt perspective please state it without latching on to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to Islanders66

Relax. 

Nothing condescending or negative in what I posted and not meant to offend in anyway.

I was simply only stating what I know others do about upgrade cycles of the product.

Understand entirely that you are upgrading for Speed Grade.  ( So am I...but I am not complaining about it.)

In fact I cant wait to write the cheque and get to work in the new version.

FWIW - one edit gig will repay the investment.  I would be worried about my business if it took a year to do so.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 1:52 AM   in reply to Islanders66

I think the responses voiced to your comments were more general than personal in nature, and not all that negative.  You stated that upgrading every year or so is expensive.  Others responded with their perspective.

As for the bit about default transitions, you're initial post made it seem like you wanted a way to add transitions to the timeline that didn't involve dragging.  Christian was responding to that.  I don't think he was trying to be condescending.

For the most part, recent posts have been civil and adult.  I'd like it to stay that way.  In that spirit, I edited out your insult of shooternz.  Please continue to express your ideas, opinions and suggestions.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 3:48 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Ok, I don't see the problem with my original post. I thought it was  obvious that Premier was well behind both FCP 7 and Avid when it came to applying transistions? Even to change and apply a default transition is more criptic than it should be.  I said I hope the buttons are like Avids, but perhaps you aren't famaliar with this function of Avids? I followed that up with the lack of saving custom transitions, but no one responded to that, and instead continued to take issue with my concerns for the cost of upgrading. I think these are ligitimate concerns and thought the response were snide and took my post out of context.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points