Skip navigation
sky-er
Currently Being Moderated

Reproducing .jpeg colour in ACR

Apr 11, 2012 11:29 PM

Tags: #color #raw #colour #pentax

Hello!
Pentax K-5 has various colour settings. These settings are embedded to image files. However, Adobe Camera Raw doesn't require such settings from Pentax raw files. Thus, when shooting RAW+, images from the ACR (settings 'As shot') look higly different to .jpg images. It corresponds to .dng as well as .pef.
On the other hand, the Pentax original software, Digital Camera Utility, does require the camera colour settings from the raw files. The cast of Raw files in DCU is absolutely like the cast of .jpg files.

So the question is how can the camera colour cast be reproduced in the ACR (I am using Photoshop CS6 beta and Photoshop CS5.1).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 1:36 AM   in reply to sky-er

Adobe Camera Raw is not designed to emulate either the looks of the in-camera JPEGs nor the software distributed by Pentax.  Adobe Camera raw will indeed ignore the in-camera settings, by design.

If you learn how to use Adobe Camera Raw you can emulate whatever look you prefer.  Bit if you like the Pentax software look, by all means use said Pentax software or shoot JPEGs.

This has been discussed repeatedly and at length in the Adobe Camera Raw forum. Do a forum search there for a link to the various editions of the highly recommended ACR book by Jeff Schewe.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 2:35 AM   in reply to sky-er

All the points you raise have been discussed in the ACR forum over and over.

I'm not connected to Adobe.  We are all users just like you, trying to help each other out.  I'm not here as an Adobe apologist, just as an experienced user trying to point you in the right direction.

Obviously the white balance is taken into consideration, that's a no-brainer.  If you have further questions, please post in the ACR forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to sky-er

I guess it would be better if the ACR has a fully functioning button 'As shot',

Guess what: Camera manufacturers may not want that.

Otherwise more cameras would probably be able to shoot dng.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:38 AM   in reply to sky-er

Color me corrected.

Edit: But still this would probably mean that Pentax uses additional data that does not conform to the dng-requirements.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to sky-er

For what it's worth, there's no technical reason you can't have what you want.  It could be done through the development of a camera profile that's crafted to exactly match the results you get from your camera.  But Adobe doesn't do that.  They do provide some camera profiles that will get you close to the same color for many cameras.

I know of what I speak, since I was lucky enough to have a very kind forum member named Vit create a profile for me that emulates virtually perfectly the color Canon's in-camera raw processing and DPP converter produce, and even the way they fit the data into the sRGB profile.  He used his own custom-developed software to do this, as I previously had only been able to get close by adjusting Camera Raw controls and saving new defaults.  I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park that it still works perfectly in Camera Raw 7.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points