Skip navigation
dianah86
Currently Being Moderated

Cutlines for Wall stickers

Apr 12, 2012 12:15 AM

Tags: #printer #print #wall #cutlines #stickers

I´m trying to prepare some wall stickers for the printer, but I´m not sure if is correct

They say

We need them to be 0.25pt in thickness (cutlines) , in a custom swatch (any colour) named "CutContour", in a stroke only, no fill, with a 3mm bleed inside the artwork objects.

So I did a contour using the offsef path on Illustratror CS5, it looks like is not correct, does anyone know how to creat cutlines ?

Screenshots of the file (on CloudApp)

http://cl.ly/2S001m1J22080m2R3x1m

http://cl.ly/2W0P1R1L1Y3H1L3Y3Y0i

Thanks,

Diana

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to dianah86

Diana,

What happens if you create a copy of the artwork and then Pathfinder>Unite (what was Add to shape area in earlier versions) to make one path of the outermost parts, then apply Object>Path>Offset Path?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:08 AM   in reply to dianah86

Normally bleed should be an outline with 3mm distance to the graphic. There only should be one line around the graphic (you have 2). So what exactly did you do?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to dianah86

As monika mentioned you actually have more that two and have to delete some of the paths the cut line is one line the bleed is just space between the printed art and the dieline (cut.)

here eliminate the lines indicated by the arrows so you end up with one cut line and make certain it is a one path unless you feel the space between the legs needs to be cut.

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 7.20.29 AM.png

It should look like this I assume that it is being printed on transparent vynil so the space between the legs need not be cut. You can question them about that.

I personally think they could have simply corrected this themselves take them about 30 seconds>

It should look like this

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 7.28.43 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to dianah86

Quite frankly I do not understand the meaning of what you are saying it seems like some kind shiorthand.

What I am saying i shat you have to eliminate the line in the inside the one that traces the art and only6 use the line at the outside edge of the bleed. It is a decal you cannot cut along the edge of printed art, you cut along the edge of the bleed.

Notice you have two lines that are connecting the blled line and the line I think you are calling the contour you have to get rid of those two lines as well.

Here these lins have to go as well.

Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 1.25.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 1.25.34 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Maybe this will expalin it you need extra room between the edge of the art and the edge of the decal. That extra room is what they are calling bleed.

Ask the cutter if the cutline is at the edge of the bleed?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to dianah86

You should ask them what exactly is wrong. Ask them until they tell you exactly what you need to do. It's very difficult to try and interpret what these folks really mean.

After all they want your business so they should assist you in case anything is not clear.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 3:10 AM   in reply to dianah86

It all sounds pretty straightforward to me.

The cut line is where you have the edge of your existing artwork. It's the inner one of the 2 pink lines you made.

Your printer is asking you to extend your artwork so that it goes beyond the cut line. He wants more black around the outside so that when the design is cut out it won't have a white edge if the cutter doesn't register exactly.

Have your cut line in a spot colour on a separate top layer and set it to overprint.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points