Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get rid of "blog" in the url?

Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get rid of "blog" in the blog url?

Or at least change it to the name of my blog?

TOPICS
Content management and modules

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Nope, you can not edit that at this time.

You could build a simulated blog with a web app but it will still have the web app name as the main folder like: /something/your-blog-page.

SEO wise though It is "blog" and from our experience not seeing any negative effects on the blog's SEO we have done. I know people like us want to be able to change it etc and it is on the cards at some point but, yeah nothing you can do really right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not currently possible at this time unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's a deal breaker right there.

Isn't there a url rewrite or redirect function to change "blog" to something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, you can not edit that at this time.

You could build a simulated blog with a web app but it will still have the web app name as the main folder like: /something/your-blog-page.

SEO wise though It is "blog" and from our experience not seeing any negative effects on the blog's SEO we have done. I know people like us want to be able to change it etc and it is on the cards at some point but, yeah nothing you can do really right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I see is that if you have clients with well establsihed blogs looking for a change you won't be able to recommend BC to them as all their existing seo work will have been for nought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not at this time Mark.

What do you mean but "All their SEO work". Url is not everything, content is king.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liam,

that's exactly what I mean. If they have an established blog with lots of quality content, lots of links and good seo traffic, that will all be lost if they can't maintain the same url struture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark, That is not true

If you migrate a site to something else you will always, always get a drop when the new one goes live in rankings. That is always inevatable. How you mange it, form the new site, inform search engines about the changes/new site is the important thing. A new site and CMS is always going to be different so you work with that and also improve on it.

Doing things the right way and with SEO in mind you can improve on what you had. We build BC sites at Fuel Design all the time from old systems just as many others and SEO for us is important and our clients are very happy on that front.

For you one of the imperitive things as with new sites is to set up your 301 redirects. Any time you have an old URL and your new site has a new URL struture you form your 301 redirects. In BC you can export a template and import these into the system on mass.

Setting up webmaster tools in google with your new sitemap.xml, ensuring your meta is in.... And things like that is important.

I do not think I have ever made a new site (even not using BC) which has the exact same structure on the new site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines