Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Draw inside disabled, and clipping mask workaround loses information

Apr 12, 2012 6:30 AM

I want to use my compound paths, with styles, fills and strokes applied to "draw inside", but that command is greyed out when I select them.

However, if I "cheat" and instead use the compound paths as clipping masks first, I accomplish something which looks exactly the same way in the layer palette as when I do manage to "draw inside" an object.

The trouble is that all my styles, fills and strokes get killed using that workaround, and I have to reapply them.

Am I missing a step somewhere, or doing this in the wrong order?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Also, any word on why "draw inside" is disabled for compound paths?

PS. Another problem using my poor workaround is that when the compound path becomes invisible, I can't find a way to drag appearances to it or apply swatches, even when I select it in the layer palette. I have to redo all styles, gradients, etc. manually, which is not efficient, nor desirable, at all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to eobet

Could you post a screenshot of what you have. I just tried to draw inside a compound path with effects, fills, strokes and a width profile. It was no problem to do it. Only the drop shadow behaved a little strangely.

What you could do (if nothing else works) is create a graphic style and re-apply it afterwards. You'll have to select the clipping path with the direct-selection tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to eobet

the draw inside only works on a single object. If you have created a "compound path" with objects not touching each other (for one eg) using pathfinder unite, then you have actually created a group with objects that have united and others that... well... didnt...

to avoid that, you must select the shapes and option click unite, then click expand to create a true compound path. Then Draw inside will be enabled.

G

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to Grant H

Like Monika, I'm having no trouble drawing inside a compound path. Actually I don't know why one would have trouble with this. A compound path may be used as a clipping mask. Draw Inside is merely an alternative way to create a clipping mask. The result in both cases is identical.

But Monika, you mention your stroke width profile is preserved when you draw inside. I can't get stroke width profiles to work on a clipping mask… that's any clipping mask… one made with a simple path, compound path, or compound shape, one made with Object>Clipping Path>Make or Draw Inside. In all of these cases, the stroke panel displays the profile I've assigned but the stroke of the clipping mask on the artboard displays as a uniform weight equaling the maximum width of the profile.

What am I doing wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Doug Katz

Doug, you're right, it disappears. Sorry, I didn't mention that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to Doug Katz

u doing nothing wrong... you cant even align the stroke on a clipping path to the inside or outside.

G

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Danke

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:05 AM   in reply to eobet

eobet wrote:

So, if I understand this correctly, two people replying here can draw inside compound paths, and two people can't. Is this a design premium feature, or why does there seem to be a difference?

Has nothing to do with Design Premium.

Maybe you'd like to show us your art. There might be other ways to achieve what you need to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to eobet

eobet wrote:

Well my problem is that I can't do either of these:

understood so far. You already mentioned that.

What I wanted to know is what you wanted to draw inside of what. Very often people ignore other options to build things. Maybe this applies to your image as well. But that depends on what exactly you want to have inside. I assume, that cloud isn't the actual drawing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to eobet

Look at your Appearance palette. That's a Compound Shape, not a Compound Path. (Not the same thing.)

Also: After you have used Draw Inside, then switched back to Draw Normal Mode, then simply select the object you had Drawn Inside, the Draw Inside Mode selection is no longer available. Again, look at your Appearance palette. What's selected is a Group, not a Path or a Compound Path.

To resume Draw Inside on an object you have already Drawn Inside, directSelect (white pointer) the Clipping Path (or one of its subpaths if it is a Compound Path). Then you will have a Path selected and Draw Inside will be available.

Also: If you have used Draw Inside on one object in your document, you have to leave Draw Inside mode in order to re-enter it using another object.

...compound paths don't allow aligned strokes.

You can align strokes inside/outside on Compound Paths; not on Clipping Paths.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points