Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Article with different size pages

Apr 12, 2012 8:03 AM

Hello,

I would like to make an article with different size pages. So let's say I have a landscape article with the first page being 1024x768 and the second page being 1024x384 (half the height).

It seems like National Geographic is doing this, see it here:

foto.PNG

As you can see, in the article in the middle (A Walk in the Clouds) is about half the size at the page above it.

I know it can't be a one page smoothscroll article since it really snaps to the second page and you still see a part of the page above it. There is no in between though, so it can't really be smooth scroll.

Or if it is smoothscroll it must be some other feature, that let's the article snap to either top or bottom, but no in between. How is that done?

Can't seem to find information on this anywhere.

Thanks, Julien.

Replies
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 12, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

Hi Julien.

You can accomplish this behavior by uploading the page as a long smooth scrolling page. Once uploaded, uncheck the smooth scrolling checkbox.

Casey

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

You can't make a page shorter than the tablets screen real estate. The article your refering to in National Geographic is 1024 wide by 768 deep. Thats the minimum document set up, but you can make them as deep as you like.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

Those are different articles, not different pages within an article.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

Smooth scrolling must be on and the article can only contain one page.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 12, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

Please see my previous post. It is a snapping page. It is longer than the standard ratio - it's something like 1024x1000.

Import it to Folio Builder as a smooth scrolling page.

Then, once the page is imported, uncheck the smooth scrolling checkbox.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

The article is 1024 wide by whatever high and is set to smooth scrolling. The others are multi or single page 1024x768.

It’s also a very good idea with a folio such as this to keep to the _h file naming convention.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 12, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, it isn't a smooth scrolling page. See previous post. It was set that way to import the article initially, however.

Casey

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 12, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

Julien,

You are importing this page as a Smooth Scrolling page. If you're getting errors, it's because you're not importing the smooth scrolling page properly, or otherwise have something wrong with your dimensions.

If you're importing it to a PDF folio, you can't set it as smooth scrolling by doing an "add" from the folio builder. (note: It will default to jpg anyways in a PDF folio -- as the Viewer can't handle PDF pages that are non-standard sizes. You have to import a smooth scrolling page if you're working in a PDF folio.)

In general, the easiest way to handle a "long" page is to import from the file system.

Do a single article import, and navigate to the file (make sure it has _h as part of the name and is within its own folder), and import the file. If your dimensions and orientation are set correctly, it should import fine (whether it be a PDF or JPG folio) as a smooth scrolling article -- just as you would any other smooth scrolling article.

Once it's imported, you simply uncheck the Smooth Scrolling metadata box.

Casey

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 12, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

Hi Julien,

This doesn't quite make sense. Switching it from "Horizontal Only" to "Off" should not be causing the file to re-bundle/upload. (You don't need to update the file after doing this as it is a simple metadata change.)

Note: You will need to switch the flag back if you do want to "update" the file at some point.

Casey

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 12, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to JulienKraakman

Not a problem. Glad you got it working!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to Casey Jensen

Me, too…sorry for the confusion.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to Casey Jensen

I'm having a similar problem I am trying to upload a 1024 x 2000 px long article into a folio that is set at 1024 x 768.

It wont let me as it says 'page size aspect ratio must match the folio aspect ratio.

I must be doing something wrong, as I have done it before but can't remember how i go this to work.

I have been trying to figure this out for hours! Any ideas!!!!?????

Thanks

Alan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points