Skip navigation
Knee O. Phyte
Currently Being Moderated

I see the audio repetition problem when importing videos from a Canon A1200.

Apr 12, 2012 2:15 PM

I, too, see the audio repetition problem in Premier Elements 10 when importing videos from a Canon A1200, even when following Mr. Grisetti's 11/16/11 suggestion to use Premiere Elements' Video Importer (under Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Camera) to download the video from the camera and import it into my project.  Those same QuickTime videos play perfectly under Win 7 64-bit Media Player.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to Knee O. Phyte

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If there is a perfect match between project settings and your video, you will NOT see red lines above your clips as you add them to your timeline.

There probably is no project setting that will match this video, since it is from a compact digital still camera, which doesn't use camcorder codecs like AVCHD to create its media. And this mismatch may be why you're getting such unpredictable behavior with your footage.

When you open a video file in G Spot or Media Info, what specs, resolution, frame rate and codec does it show?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Knee O. Phyte

Welcome to the forum.

There have been several posts (mostly in the PrPro forum) where LPCM/WAV (Linear Pulse Code Modulation) Audio has caused issues for Adobe programs. The regular PCM/WAV is about as "plain vanilla," as it gets. In some of those cases, converting the Audio to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, has solved the issues.

Also, for the H.264 material, what version of Apple's QT Player do you have installed?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Knee O. Phyte

Editing material is vastly different from just playing it.

With Audio, a player is accessing the actual file on the HDD, and reading the info from there.

The big difference is that with PrE (and PrPro), those files are not being used directly. When Imported, a couple of things happen:

• PrE creates links to those files, for later use, when one Exports/Shares
    • PrE creates "proxy files," to display the Video on the Timeline, based on those links. It also creates proxy files for better display, when one Renders the Timeline, or portions of it.
    • PrE creates a CFA (Conformed Audio) and a PEK (Waveform Display) file, that are used - the CFA is to allow for critical editing and the PEK is what one sees on the Audio Track. The actual files are NOT directly accessed - only the CFA file.

For a bit more info on Conforming, see this ARTICLE.

Now, there have been some problems reported, where the Audio was Linear PCM/WAV. I do not know what there is about the LPCM, that causes the issue, but the "plain vanilla" PCM/WAV's seem to be trouble-free. I would love to read, from an Adobe employee, or audio engineer, explaining on why there might be issues.

For the red, and as there is some "earthiness" to it, I like the Acacia Carneros Pinot Noir. I pick it up at Costco for about US $22. It has proved to be about the best inexpensive PN, that I have encountered. Another, is the Peachy Canyon Incredible Red, which I have picked up "on sale" for around US $ 9. Their Peachy Canyon East Side Zinfandel, is even better, and I've found it as low as US $ 15. If you can find the Glen Carlou Grand Classique (South Africa), it is about the best cheap Bordeaux Blend, that I have ever found at ~ US $ 12.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points