Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rendering to computer - will the menus work

Apr 12, 2012 7:22 PM

I built a movie and when I rendered it. I choose the computer tab as I would like to view on my computer and home theater media server.

When I played it, the menu doesn't come up. If I render to a DVD the menu works fine.

I was so excited to think I could share these movies I make with the family without burning a DVD or BluRay. The movie I made was a dance recital with 10 dances. Without the menu, the movie is kind of useless.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 7:35 PM   in reply to ultrasp98

Media files do not support Menus. DVD-Videos and BD's do.

With a media file, you would use Export/Share, and the file can then be played on a computer.

If you wish to have Menus, you will Burn to Folder (only for DVD-Videos), and then, you can play that VIDEO_TS folder on a computer via a software DVD player.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to ultrasp98

Well, "quality" is a relative thing.

If one were to compare a DV-AVI file to the DVD-sped. MPEG-2, most would see the difference. However, the DVD-spec.is very strict, and ONLY MPEG-2 is allowed. BD is more lenient, in that HD MPEG and H.264 are allowed.

The same goes for the Audio. The Primary Audio Streams in either DVD, or BD, are PCM/WAV, which is uncompressed, or DD AC3 (a flavor of MPEG Audio), which IS compressed.

In the end, anything done to a DVD-Video, will be a bit less sharp, than a DV-AVI of the same timeline, but a DV-AVI will NOT have a Menu.

Now, anytihng DVD-Video will be, by the spec., SD (Standard Def), where if you have HD (High Def) material, you will want to do BD (Blu-Ray Disc), to maintain the HD qualtiy.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to ultrasp98

Steve,

Logical questions.

For HD/BD, there is one problem when using PrE. While it can author to BD, it cannot Burn to Folder for BD, just Burn to Disc.

Now, I do not know the requirements of WD's Media Player, so you might have to do some checking, but here are my thoughts on a workflow:

1. Burn to Disc, using an RE (Rewritable) BD (Blu-Ray Disc), and then just Copy the full folder structure to the WD Media Player.
    2. Burn to Disc, BUT use a utility, such as Phantom Drive, or Phantom Burner, to Disc, but because those utilities convince PrE that a folder on your HDD is really a BD burner with blank media in it, you will essentially be Burning to Folder (what PrE cannot do on its own), and then just Copy that folder structure to the WD Media Player.

Obviously, either of those two workflows rely on the WD Media Player being able to handle the BD folder structure with the necessary files inside. That is an unknown for me, but WD should tell you if that is possible.

Good luck, and as I have never used any of those "Phantom" utilities, I cannot tell you if one is better than the rest. Also, I only mentioned two, and there are probably many more, but so long as they can convince PrE that the HDD folder is really a BD burner with blank media, they should work.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points