Apr 13, 2012 6:15 AM

Latest reply: Noel Carboni, May 10, 2012 8:00 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

From what I have read, SSDs have changed a fair bit in the last year or so, and as per Noel's quick calculations, the number of write operations is so large now that it is no longer a worry.  I think even harm on the Premiere Pro Hardware forum is warming to SSDs now.  Bill would know.

As for minimising the number of write operations, that tends to be additional affect of moving dynamic folders from the C: drive to save limited disk space.  That's not going to be an issue for Noel with so many drives though.  For me it is still problematic because my Outlook data is currently on a USB3 external drive, and none of my my external drives wake after a four hour deep sleep.  (I have to restart).  I'll get round to moving it to my biggest raid0 array one day soon. 

At the moment I am back on my laptop _again_ after the supposedly replaced power supply failed agin last night!  I'd asked them to upgrade from the Adata HM-750W, but they didn't do so, and I am sure they somehow fudged a repair of the old one.  My system box weighs in at close to 100 lbs, and I am highly unimpressed at having to cart it into town for a second time in two weeks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

When SSD is 25 cents a gigabyte, call me. I'll be happy with eSATA until then.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Oh, we could appreciate your trudge across the universe at warp speed if only the web was faster than 25 mbps actual.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm paying for 50 but have never seen it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Lundberg02 wrote:

How much is it costing you?  I'm paying $60 a month for 3. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to station_one

As part of my bundled tv, phone and internet, the 50 mbps service is 33 a month with CableOne. When you use their speed test, it shows that within their local net it is 25 to 48, hopping onto the local internet server thru speedtest.net is 25 to 48, but if you go to speedtest.net and choose Seattle for instance, it will be 15 to 22 on a good day, San Francisco and Los Angeles a little slower, every place else 9 to 12. So it's a joke, not really much faster than my 10 mbps service was, but you actually can't go back because it's not part of the bundle.

DSL here is a farce, the advertised speed for my house is 1 mbps. The wireless internet is slow and unreliable. There is no other cable internet here. I believe the local server actually gets on the Sprint backbone 300 miles away in Boise. Waa waa waa.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

$33 a month? !!!    My phone company is a den of thieves then! 

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 25, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Lundberg02 wrote:

Sheesh!  I know people here still on dial-up, and because of the intereferance from electric fences out in the country, they are lucky to get 30bps.  They laid UFB cable along my road a month or so back, but we are several months away from it being switched on, and more before I can expect fibre into my house.

This was taken 20th Feb this year.  Note it took two tractors to drag the cable laying machine through the rocky soil.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7190/6907287665_c3f16a52a5_z.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

This house had undergound fiber from day one, but CableOne wasn't offering better speed than wireless for a reasonable price six years ago, so I struggled with the wireless company's lousy reliablity for a couple years and then took the cheapest cable service at 5 mbps. Apparently competitive forces especially in phone service made CableOne upgrade everything and allowed them to offer HDTV, reliable phone, and "highspeed" internet bundled for 33 bucks apiece. Of course my actual bill is another 47 bucks for tv boxes, fancy modem, some kind of channel package, and taxes. I guess I could buy all the boxes and the modem, but then they wouldn't give me free service calls two or three times a year when something screws up.. Lately the cable remotes are not behaving, so I guess I'll have to call them about it.  Usually takes five or six calls late at night to get a tech who actually knows what he's talking about and not reading a script, but they are Americans in Colorado or Arizona at least.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 9, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

I'm bumping Noels OTT raid 0 thread because I have just found out how hard drives are progressing nowadays.  I need to set up another raid 0 for my video project drive, and while I could probably just replace the dead 300Gb VelociRaptor I am more inclined to get a pair of drives to make sure they will play nicely together.  While looking into that, I see that the latest generation VelociRaptor VR333M has taken things a step further, and can manage 200Mbs.  That's pretty impressive, and I would love to use them if I could get hold of a couple.  (They are not listed in NZ at the moment)

VR333M.jpg

If anyone is up on drives, and has suggestions for alternatives, then I am looking for the info please.

The above table was nabbed from:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5729/western-digital-velociraptor-1tb-wd 1000dhtz-review

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points