Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to achieve retina quality images?

Apr 13, 2012 4:46 AM

Hi all

I'm having trouble understanding here, every file size, image dpi and file format we add to our folios give us the same outcome - our images break up at the same point of zoom.

I'm using images at 300dpi to get a guage of what is best to use in our apps regarding data weight etc.  but inDesign exports using the Effective pixel setting, which renders the source settings useless - if I have gathered that correctly?

so what I want to know is, how are you supposed to obtain retina quality images when inDesign and the folio tools set your Effective PPI - is there anyway to control this?

also, what is it that makes the interactivity so heavy regarding data? does anyone know if there's a way to control this?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 13, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

For background content, each page is rendered in the folio size dimensions at 72 ppi. Overlays are handled differently, but 72 effective ppi is still the key value.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 13, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to tim.hughes

I suppose you could say that InDesign is limiting what you can export if you want to put it that way. But if you have a cover image that's 2048x1536 in 72 ppi on the iPad 3, it looks great. Including a 2048x1536 in 300 ppi wouldn't look significantly better (unless you zoom way in in a PDF article), and it would increase the folio size dramatically.

To learn more about targeting the retina device, see this article:

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/files/2012/03/DPS_iPad3_bestp ractice.pdf

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points