Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

TTF to TTC Font Substitution Error

Apr 13, 2012 8:21 AM

Tags: #cs4 #illustrator #cs5 #font #font_glyph_problem

Upon opening one particular .ai file on another computer, I keep having the same font substitution problem.  The file was created in CS4 on a Mac, using a TTC font family and the problem occurs in CS5 on a Windows 7 computer using the same font family, only as a set of TTFs instead of a TTC.  The font appears as Medium Condensed rather than Medium (although in the dropdown, it still says "Medium") and is messing everything up.

So, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the whole font family, then reopening... same problem.  I tried uninstalling ONLY the Medium Condensed TTF and leaving all the others installed and active, but then the text turns into a bunch of Gibberish.  I tried switching to Medium Condensed and then back to Medium from the dropdown menu, no change whatsoever.  I literally am at a total loss.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to TheMuayThaiKid

Untill and Unless the font type will not be same , it will not work

Copy the font from another machine and install it on this machine and you will be good to go.

TTF and TTC are two completly different font type , having completly different structure.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to TheMuayThaiKid

There are more locations than the control panel for fonts.  Mac and windows are both nutty for having numerouslocations where fonts are loaded and foreign language fonts nobody used. I am more familiar with the mac OS so cannot name all the locations on WIN7.Here si one other:

Untitled-1.jpg

Clsoe all apps.

Close any fonts you are not using.

Delete C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT, and restart your system. This will clean out your font cache which has a font ID conflict.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points