• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 7: Can't Install / Uninstall Adobe Reader 10.1.3

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installation of Adobe Reader 10.1.3 I received "An internal error occurred" every time that Adobe Reader was executed.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Reader X, to make sure the installation was clean, but encountered problems and am now in a situation where the installer thinks Reader X is already installed, but Adobe Reader X does not show up for program removal under Windows control panel.

Following instructions for similar forum posts, I also attempted to use the Microsoft repair utility from http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall, but Adobe Reader X is not detected either under Installed or Uninstalled programs.  This utility can also install/uninstall via product code, but I don't know what that is for Reader X.

So I am looking for help installing or installing Adobe Reader X.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please let me know how exactly are you installing Reader 10.1.3 now, and what is the exact error message being displayed? If possible please post a ascreenshot of the error message as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit,

I am experiencing the same problem.  I was, however, able to uninstall completely and reinstall. 

Installation was done from the acrobat.com web server, from the Downloads link.  It was installed exactly as the onscreen instructions state.

The error: Acrobat doesn't launch from the desktop icon with the error, "An Internal Error Occurred". When the error is left on the screen, after several minutes a second error appears. It says, "Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE Server".

The environment is Windows 7 Enterprise x64.  This is a new install and nothing but the OS, MS Office, MS Security Essentials and Java are installed.  This is the only Adobe product installed.

The action I have taken so far is to completely uninstall (using MS Programs and Features) and to follow that up by manually removing all Acrobat folders from all Program Files, Program Data and the user AppData directories.  A second identical installtion gave me the same results.  After the second installation I deleted all the files in the Program Files (x86) folder and tried a repair.  That also did not work.  Same results.  Task Manager shows two AcroRD32.exe* instances after attempting to start Reader.

Any help would be appreciated.

Addendum:

I installed the 9.5.0 Successfully and it works perfectly.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Regarding your error message please see if the following post is of any help:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4130812

Also, check the informtion under the "Anti-virus software conflicts" section in the following page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/protected-mode-troubleshooting-reader.html

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  None of that worked for me either.  There is something wrong with the 10.x code.  It's just bad software. 

Lane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LaneCx,

Could you let me know the following:

1. The Antivirus software installed on your system.

2. If you are on a roaming profile.

3. Does the problem exist, even if you disable the Antirus software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit,

This is a new build directly from MS media. Nothing too unusual about it. The only thing that could be considered out of the ordinary is that the C:\users folder is a separate mounted drive. This should have absolutely no effect on the installation or the operation of the Reader software.  I've installed earlier versions of Reader 10.x on configurations such as this with no issue before. This is the first time I've tried 10.1.3.

No roming profile.

The problem existed before any AV software was installed. I always install Java and Reader together at the same time.  In this case I initially installed Java and Reader 10.1.3 on 4/12. That's when it failed. AV wasn't installed until 4/15.  I'm on a secure network. I don't install AV until after everything else is installed exactly to avoid problems such as this.

Here's what's installed:

tmp.jpg

Lane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Lane,

Thanks a lot for the information.

Could you ensure that no existing process for AcroRd32.exe is running on your system initially. You can check the same via the Task Manager. In case there is a process running by that name, kill the same and try launching a new session for Reader 10.1.3.

Does tihs also result in the same behavior?

Also, could you specify the system RAM size? Does increasing the Virtual Memory size help.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit,

I have removed the 9.5 version and reinstalled the current one from the Adobe website. "Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) (51.95 MB)"

Rebotted.  There are no acro*.* services running at all.

Same results. "An internal error occurred."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lane, mrk,

There is no harm in trying the the following:

Run this fix from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall and uninstall all traces of any versions of Reader. If you want to reinstall Reader, download its full installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again, I have no problems installing or uninstalling Reader.  The Microsoft "Fix-It" had no effect.

Reinstalling 10.1.3 successful.  Once installed when I launch it, it does not work, See image:

tmp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit_Jain,

When I try to run Adobe Reader X from the exe which was left on the system, I get this error dialog:

Adoen - Try to Run.jpg

And when I try to uninstall I get this dialog:

Adobe Reader X - Not installed error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How weird.

I'm running Win7Ult, and due to a scroll-seize problem, I just got done uninstalling, downloading a fresh copy, and a new installation of 10.1.3 reader about 40 minutes ago. While my scroll-seize issues are not yet resolved, the uninstall, download, and new install went just fine. Before the new version came out last week I did a repair and that too went fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mrktvalu,

Please try and manually remove the installation folder i.e. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0 and remove the installation via the MS tool using the product code as below:

{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AA1000000001}

Now, re-install Reader 10.1.3 from get.adobe.com/reader.

Do let me know what error is it that you are facing exactly during this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be advised that manual uninstallation of the Adobe/Reader 10.0 folders is prevented by SYSTEM ownership of the following files and folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Resource\CMap\Identity-H

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Resource\CMap\Identity-V

I went through and removed all of the other folders and files manually, but cannot delete files in the paths defined above.  I would really like to get all traces of Reader X off my system, as I reverted back to Reader 9.5 at least temporarily. 

Is there any particular reason you make your software so difficult to manage and use?  I have wasted about 5 hours on this.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines