Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audio for clips brought into timeline

Apr 13, 2012 10:16 AM

I am a newbie to CS5 and have an audio question.

Whenever I shoot footage in the field, I record the subject using a lav on Ch1 and the cam mike is Ch2. When I import clips into PP and bring into timeline, only one stereo audio track appears which is the lav. If I am recording 2 channels, why is it that a second track of audio does not appear? Is it because both tracks are mixed together? Because when I play the clip in the timeline, I hear the subject voice out of only the left speaker, Subsequenty, I shot fooatge using two subjects using Lav1 on Ch1 and Lav2 on Ch2. In the timeline, the one audio track appears and I hear the Ch1 subject well, but the subject 2 voice is distant. Why doesn't Ch2 track appear?

I am trying to understand what the best option with audio? For the first example, I used Fill Left so the subject would be heard out of both speakers evenly. How do I handle the second example?

Thanks, Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to steverup50

What camera? Does it support 4 channel output? Most likely the camera only outputs one stereo track with the left channel being the LAV1 and the right channel being LAV2.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to steverup50

The EX-1 has one stereo track output, so left channel is one mic and the right channel is the other mic. If you want to edit them separately, use the break out to mono function in the project panel before adding them to the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to steverup50

This THREAD might also be helpful. Harm's answer here is the same one that I gave in that thread.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points