Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

MIDI, please

Apr 13, 2012 1:38 PM

Feature request: MIDI, or Rewire support.  I reckon MIDI's more organic/integral to Audition development than Rewire support?  The ability to record in MIDI and then bounce the track down to wav would be a very useful step.  If it's not too much trouble, that is.  I have little idea of the big picture, after all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to therealdobro

Yes, MIDI please. Creative Suite?.. Let us create music

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:46 AM   in reply to therealdobro

MIDI was very useful to me in Audition 3. I stopped using Cubase. So I am hoping now when most of the effects are back in CS6 the company will focus on MIDI and music creation.

I will be happy with simple MIDI like Audition 3 has. Plus ability to right click and choose all notes and then drag them and move to new key on the piano roll. I use different drums and many times drums sets are mapped differently. I have to move kick part or snare often.  In Audition 3 I have to zoom out whole song and highlight kick part then to zoom in and drag to proper drum sound. It’s complicated.

Metronome is back in CS6 and it’s great but some musicians prefer record tracks under real drum sound then metronome click. It’s more inspiring. I have always used basic drum beat for the recording and then later I paid attention to almost every drum note and bar.

And to have tempo change is my highest dream.

Audition CS has got to have Rewire for sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 2:34 AM   in reply to Kost7

I believe that you can select different sounds for the Metronome including some drum sounds.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to ryclark

Yes, but probably it will be more like separate clicking and not the kick, snare, hi hat playing altogether . And no extra kick per bar or crash every 4th bar .

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to therealdobro

therealdobro wrote:

The ability to record in MIDI and then bounce the track down to wav would be a very useful step.

oh, yes. That is so awesome  that you can bounce midi to wav so easy in Au3

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to therealdobro

For my work, I really need MIDI composition and plug-in support. For me, Audition without these features is like Dreamweaver lacking support for HTML and CSS.

I see from this post: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/838570?tstart=0 that the development team is hard at work modernizing Auditions code base, implementing multithreading, increasing performance, and working to fully take advantage of modern hardware. =D There are features in the wings, and that gives me hope that Audition will fully support MIDI in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:28 AM   in reply to therealdobro

I really hope that it was just matter of new code engine writing and cross-platform and now when it's there they will restore ALL features from Au3, including MIDI and Rewire. 100 % of my midi use is drums (rock drumset sampler most of the time), then 50% keys and 5% some kind of synth. Basic midi option will do for me and for something serious one can always use Rewire or VSTi editing program of his liking (I think FL offers that) on Audition track. But I got to have drums in Audition. Because I like Audition and would like to continue to use it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 3:18 AM   in reply to therealdobro

Yes, I think I did. As I said most of time I need just drums. And I like them in Audition Sound Font player. Different snares and kicks sounds... it's cool

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 12:21 AM   in reply to Kost7

Yes, MIDI please!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to Temoff

Yes Music Creation, we need MIDI in Audition thats for sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to therealdobro

I just bought Creative Suite CS6 with Audition & have just realised... there's no MIDI functionality???!! They took it OUT? That's surely 99% of pro studios rendered incompatible with Adobe Audition, no?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to therealdobro

I've listened Jason Levine music on iTunes yesterday. I guess He probably used Audition to make it. And I wonder if it would be a help for him to have MIDI in CS6..... Anyway, it gives me hope that Audition will be not only about editing but creating music too. And MIDI is great tool to create especially in small setups.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to Kost7

Yes Hope we gonna have MIDI in the next version of Audition

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to therealdobro

Midi Machine Control, MMC, would be even better than ReWire, in my opinion.  That way, I could sych Audition to whatever program I'm using for music (Logic, Digital Performer, Live, Pro Tools) and do audio edits in Audition.  Plus, I could use a VTR for video playback, which is what I really want, so that Audition doesn't get sluggish with huge video files.

So, simple MMC would solve so many issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to Lukas Pearse

Well said.

I guess it will have to be lucky ver. 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to therealdobro

MMC is useful for synchronizing with other DAWs. It is just as much for hardware as is MIDI itself, meaning that although that that was the origins, it remains useful this far down the line.   The problem with ReWire is that it requires a master-slave relationship, and there are often limitations in the slave application, while a MMC sync allows for independence and then inter-app audio or midi via Soundflower or IAC or midi ox or whatever.  This is how one syncs Pro Tools and Logic or DP or Ableton, and it would be great to add Audition to this party. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Lukas Pearse

This would be super useful for being able to work on a sound edit in Audition whe composing music in Logic or Ableton or DP and be able to tedt them together without having to deeply connect the projects like ReWire requires.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 9:03 PM   in reply to therealdobro

It would be helpful so that one could hear the Audition mix IN-PROGRESS along with a score in progress without having to bounce out either.  This would be great for both folks like myself who do both but also when I do either music or sound and work with another composer or mixer.  This would make it simple to make changes in one app in response to work in the other without having to export yet.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 8, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to Lukas Pearse

Lukas Pearse wrote:

Midi Machine Control, MMC, would be even better than ReWire, in my opinion.  That way, I could sych Audition to whatever program I'm using for music (Logic, Digital Performer, Live, Pro Tools) and do audio edits in Audition.  Plus, I could use a VTR for video playback, which is what I really want, so that Audition doesn't get sluggish with huge video files.

So, simple MMC would solve so many issues.

You've got your acronyms mixed up. You're talking about MTC, not MMC.

MMC is essentially in Audition anyway - it's how you can use an external control surface with it. What you are referring to is MIDI Time Code. Essentially, this went out with the ark - far too many problems with it, because of sync starting issues. It was a way of getting Audition (well Cool Edit, really) to sync with external hardware,  but needed an external interface to make it work. Yes, it was what was used to sync external VTRs, but almost nobody wants to do that these days - everything's 'in the box'. And that's where Rewire is far more useful - essentially MTC without the hardware, or syncing issues. When MTC was dropped, there were a few calls for its return, but they were pretty muted, and died away.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

No, with all due respect, I do not mean Midi Time Code. MTC is too inaccurate to be very useful, while MMC controls transport functions and can keep devices synchronized.   Yes, as I said earlier, it's origins are with controlling hardware like tape machines, but it can also be used to synchronize DAWs and  if they are on different computers, then it requires an interface. 

These may be long gone in Cool Edit land, but in the rest of the pro audio world, they are reasonably well serviced, and used in studios that actually have audio equipment. Obviously, these are probably not well known in entirely in-the-box circles. 

It is precisely because Audition almost has it implemented fully, as it is how the control surface support works, that it would be helpful to have it fully available. 

Rewire is fine, great even, and I would be happy if Audition had it, but it would only work in certain configurations with other applications. For example, Logic only can be a Rewire master, and Ableton cannot use MaxForLive under ReWire, and there can be limitations using external plug-ins on whatever DAW is the slave. 

It would be simpler and more open-ended to use MMC which effectively links the transport controls. 

Really, I just want the ability to synchronize playback with other DAWs that have other strengths so I can use Audition for it's excellent audio editing and leave music creation to something else. 

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 8, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Lukas Pearse

Lukas Pearse wrote:

These may be long gone in Cool Edit land, but in the rest of the pro audio world, they are reasonably well serviced, and used in studios that actually have audio equipment. Obviously, these are probably not well known in entirely in-the-box circles.  

They aren't well known these days because in relative terms, there are hardly any of them... which probably explains why it was dropped as a discrete option.

It is precisely because Audition almost has it implemented fully, as it is how the control surface support works, that it would be helpful to have it fully available.  

Well, Audition supports the original Mackie control protocol - so if you can find a box that can interface with that, you might get somewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Hardly any of them in prosumer bedroom setup, sure.  This is a professional feature, worthy of professional software, stuff that might not be of use to people working by themselves, but very useful for people working as part of a team. 

It hasn't been dropped by Avid, Apple, MOTU or Stienberg. Hardly an unknown list of pro audio software companies. 

And the point is that MMC would let people working in different DAW's collaborate by synchronizing their part of a project with their collegues' without having to bounce, do as to allow for making adjustments faster.

A Mackie control surface cannot connect to multiple DAWs at the same time, as the implentation is potentially different.

But MMC is standardized synchronization of transport controls, is quite accurate, and would be a useful feature in professional collaborative situations.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Sep 9, 2013 1:53 AM   in reply to Lukas Pearse

I'm not saying that it shouldn't happen, or shouldn't be there - but even in pro circles, there is a massive move towards software-only solutions, so it will become progressively less of an issue. The developers research all this stuff pretty closely with major customers, and if there was a real demand, they'd implement it.

Incidentally, when I do location recordings, there's absolutely no software involved at all - I simply don't trust it. But I don't have sync problems either - because post does happen in the box.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 4:52 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

This has nothing whatsoever to do with in-the-box vs hardware. 

This is about synchronizing playback between two DAWs.  Both of which are software. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 1:52 PM   in reply to Lukas Pearse

one more post for MIDI!

I can't afford the space to house a B3, Grand Piano and the 12 major synths I use in my recordings.  All are on my hard drive along with Countless drum sets.  And I don't even need an external to store it all. 

Quite frankly, I don't know why, when I have Pro Tools, SonarX3, and yes Reaper, why would I want to have Audition on the computer?  These programs handle live audio just as well as Audition, and if they don't you can add professional plugins that do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points