Skip navigation
sethro2117
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 no exported video change-help please

Apr 13, 2012 5:14 PM

Tags: #video #lightroom4 #no_export_change

Exporting from LR4 video there is no change to adjusted clip. I went through the clips from the the 5D mark II before I had LR4 in Quicktime and trimed and saved them. Made adjustments to the jpeg still. and synced the jpeg  preset and exported. Video exported with no change. Using 2.7 GHz Intel Corei5 10.6.8 12 GB of ram. Please help or guide me to a disscussion that I haven't been able to find among the many.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to sethro2117

Select something other than "Original" when exporting.  "Original" means just what it says.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to sethro2117

sethro2117 wrote:

Thanks thats what I was doing  wrong. If the export is H264 is that creating a file with loss data?

Of course - same as re-saving a JPEG.  Each save is a lossy save.  However, the bit-rates in LR are very high so the loss is quite low.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to sethro2117

It's the same with stills - select "original" on export, and you're exporting a copy of the original image, even if it's a raw or DNG file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to sethro2117

sethro2117 wrote:

Thanks Lee Jay for responding, but these vague replies aren't getting to the route of what I'm asking. It looks like this has been viewed 251 times anyone else care to help me out here. Why are the export options so limited in LR4?

Because that's all they implemented.  That's rather like asking why doesn't your front-wheel-drive car have four-wheel-drive - because it doesn't.

sethro2117 wrote:

DPX?

DPX is lossless (I think) for interoperability with other Adobe video products (and some non-Adobe products).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to sethro2117

Hi Sethro2117,

I did not answer because I have no definite knowledge of this.

But AFAIK the root of the problem lies in that there is no "DNG-format for videos", nor a sidecar-xmp for them. So there is no destination for LR to write non-destructively to a video.

I would guess that the many different proprietary video capturing formats which the cameras employ are similarly documented than proprietary still raw formats.

So the best LR can do is interpret what it understands, and output it either into a format it fully understands (such as H264) or just do a simple copy algorithm of original.

Loss(lessness) may depend on the destination format.

Never mind with Lee Jay... I find his answers usually 100% correct, and often hardly useful, because he does not care to pick the asking person up where he/she might be.

In stark contrast to e.g. b_gossweiler (Beat), who has an excellent knack to guess where a user might be erring, and an very friendly way to give the right directions. Beat may be more intelligent than I am, but I like him very much for the fact that this is MY conclusion - and not one that transpires through his posts....

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to sethro2117

There is confusion about LR4 video export, even among Adobe tech support AND J. Kosts' LR4 video tutorial on Adobe TV, where she misstates that 'changes will be applied to "Original" upon export, as well as the other 2 export formats'.  I posted (here) about this yesterday after viewing the Kost video and then spending 4 hours grading video clips... only to then spend another 2 hours on the phome w/ Adobe tech support where the mystery was finally solved.

It is unfortunate that our only choices for video clips graded in LR4 are either 'lossy' compressed mp4, or dpx which are recognized only by Adobe products.  Why not ".MOV" (at least)? 

And what good is grading video in LR4, when it can't  SHARPEN our clips?!?!?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to Lee Jay

Also, apart from Kost providing a misleading statement, the PDF Help file on Video Export is misleading as well; quoting " Original - Exports the video in the same format, and at the same speed as the original clip. I would read this as you are exporting the changes you made, not simply exporting a file you already have. If that is the case I would think the documentation should be more specific, also Kost/Adobe needs to update the TV episode on Video and save folks from wasting their time

My 20 cents

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

Hi Mike,

I understand your point and agree.

It is just as misleading for still images: I have been trapped by exporting "original" there as well... Your edits are not included either!

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:45 PM   in reply to Cornelia-I

I was also very frustrated at the limited export options in LR 4.0

I don't understand "Original" at all! What is the point - it is basically the same as copying a file in Windiws Eplorer, but it takes 100x as long. I had assumed this was a bug - that it was supposed to apply the Develop grade to the output.

So basically we are left with MPEG-4 at 4 different levels, and that is it!

I have CS 5.5 Production Premium, with CS 6.0 on the way. I'm looking forward to both PS and Premier Pro video editing, along with Speed Grade and all the other tools

At the same time the LR interface is unique and very useful in some cases. Are there plans to link LR to the Media Encoder, Speed Grade, and other back end tools with a LR UI?

Media Encoder at least would be easy, as they are already opening a dialog box to pick options. The difference is ME has about 5,750 options; LR has 4.

Is Adobe really going to commit to video support in LR after the CS 6.0 launch (when resources are available) and deliver much more in 4.1, 4.2, etc. or is it going to remain an absolutely minimal tool that does 3-4 basic functions, but no more in video?

Seems there is a gear chance to grab that lower end niche with an economical and easy to use tool, but with world class develop/grade/export modules behind it. But right now I can't see using it for much more than a kids BD party, with a trim, minor color correction , and export

Is there a design white paper, product development map, or even an interview that would shed more light on the vision fr video in LR? THANKS!

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to sethro2117

Hello,

I don't see a menu to select when exporting, that is  <choose "original"> or <choose edited version>. I have been exporting the originals but it would be nicer to export the trimmed versions (mov file from D600). I think the camera original files are H264. So far I have been exporting the whole original, then running them through MPEG Streamclip to get "better" and larger files,  then import the converted higher qaulity clips to imovie. Is there anyway to get my trimmed and maybe adjusted clips out of LR4, then run them through MPEG Streamclip? It would save space as most of the clips I am only using a small portion and would speed up MPEG Streamclip.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 1:52 AM   in reply to edojp

Sorry, I found the choosable menu for Video on Expiort. (more used to working with photos). I iwll compare the original exported files with the H264 and see if there is any difference

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to edojp

Unfortunately LR can only export H264 files, if you've made any editing changes at all.  "Export original" does only that.  This is a real weakness in the program that I hope will be addressed in future versions of LR.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to BorisJoe

Am I right in assuming: that since the files from the D600 camera are supposed to be H264, they are imported straight from camera card into LR4, then the good ones selected, clipped, adjusted if necessary, then on export choose not "orginal" but H264...seems like I would get a file similar to the original format. After that I am running the clips through conversion in MPEG Streamclip as recommended by others who say H264 is NOT the best format for editing in FCP or imovies. How much if any quality might I be losing coming out of LR this way? (not sure if this is the best place for this question) Any reference links appreciated.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points