Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Constant crashes on startup & render (CS5.5 + OSX)

Apr 13, 2012 7:54 PM

Hi gang,

My system:

3.06 Ghz Intel Core i3

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Mac OSX 10.6.8

My Premiere files crash on startup (when it's loading everything into my sequence) about 70% of the time. I've kept notches and the record so far has been 7 crashes in a row before I was able to even get into my file.

When I am able to get in there, I am trying to render a reletively low quality H.264 Quicktime that usually crashes anywhere from 40% to 75%

If it helps to know I use mostly .swf files for the video content & my Premiere files are pretty simple, just video and audio. I sometimes use AE clips but rarely.

Also, since I found out quickly how often the program crashes, I now never open Premiere before first restarting my Mac & making sure nothing else is running.

The crashes are getting to be a nuissence, as like most people here I have deadlines & the program itself is quite pricey to be not functioning properly 70% of the time.

Hopefully anyone has any tips!

Cheers!!

CM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 8:20 PM   in reply to hiofgdshagilb

Hi hiof,

It might help to only edit standard DV material on such an underpowered system and see if that works at all, even if only slowly. If that works you can then try to present it with more complex material like H.264 if you are the patient type and like to work slower than a normal snail. .swf are not meant for editing, only for display.

Based on your specs, anything more difficult than standard DV material might just be too much for this system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

If you're on a mac, please supply a crash log, that'll give us more to work with.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to hiofgdshagilb

.swf files have already been compressed severely at creation, similar to DivX files. If you want to do more than play them, for instance edit them, you start with heavily compressed material, that must be unpacked again and after the editing be compressed again. This causes severe quality hits because of these generation losses, that for many is unacceptable.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Well, this particular crash log is definitely Flash related, as AuthPlayLib is the Flash support library.  I don't know whether this is a system config issue around Flash, or something specific to one (or more) Flash media files that you're using in your project...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points