Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge not launching

Apr 14, 2012 4:20 AM

Tags: #bridge_cs5

Hi

The hard drive on my Mac Pro recently failed and I switched to an internal clone, all appeared to be well.

However, when I try to launch Bridge I get the error message that the 'Operation could not be completed', I can launch Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 4 with no problems. I have reinstalled PS and Bridge making sure I deleted all files first but the problem continues.

I can launch Bridge from another account which leads me to think it is a permissions problem. I have repaired permissions.

When I look at the Bridge permissions in the Finder they appear identical to those of PS.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for fixing this?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Kelpie47

Have you tried resetting your prefernces by holding down the Command key while starting Bridge?  You should get a reset window with 3 options.  This file not affected by a re-install.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Also check the ownership of the new drive to make sure it is under you user name.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to Kelpie47

Not an expert on Mac, or anything else for that matter.  But check out this LINK which gives a little insight on drive ownership.  Meant for shared drives but may be useful.

Might be able to check "ignore ownership" and see if that solves problem.  It is does then you have to figure out how to change ownership.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 15, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to Kelpie47

The drive says the owner is root, as fas I know that's always been the case.

The start up Disk should have read and write permissions for both system and administrator (You)

It might be due to the use of the internal clone, Bridge can be very critical with changes on OS.

Before Lion there was the option on the install disk to use Archive and Install, that would create a new library and copy the old one without the need of reinstall everything again. After A&I a Combo Update would finish it and you where back in business within the hour.

Stil no experience with 10.7 myself (have to switch soon because Mobile Me expires...) but there seems to be the same sort of option for Lion using recovery HD.

Read these both web pages or google yourself:

http://Pondini.org/OSX/RecoveryHD.html

http://www.macstrategy.com/article.php?45

But to be honest, if it happened to me I would invest a few more hours to reinstall the OS and applications again from scratch. Copy my files and custom settings from the back up disks (mail, caches, custom settings, etc - in fact I have a back up of my user library) again and have a fresh and new installed system

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 15, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Kelpie47

Just uninstalled all CS5, used the Adobe cleaner app and reinstalled but it still don't work.

Yes that is a PITA but reinstall CS5 does not solve problems if you don't use the cleantool for CS5 and do it by the book. But seriously, Bridge is critical on user account and as said, an archive and install used to fix it for OSX prior to Lion, I suspect the recovery HD for Lion does the same.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points