Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do i erase a shadow ?

Apr 14, 2012 5:42 AM

I am a new user and would like to know how to erase a shadow - I am taking photos of small steel pieces to put on my website.

Using the erase tool is sooo slow

Photoshop cs5 extended

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to WroughtIronShop

Please post an example (maybe lores).

The best approach to the task natuarlly depends on the image – is the chadow clearly differentiated from the object in color or luminance? If so Selection Tools like Magic Wand and Quick Selection Tool can be useful.

Are the objects in focus and sharp edged? Then maybe a Path is a better way to go.

Is the background uniform? Can one paint it in, does it need to be Clone Stamped etc.?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to WroughtIronShop

If you are taking the photos the best advice is to arrange lighting so there is no shadows. 

The cheapest way to to photograph on a high overcast day where you get no shadows.  Sometimes can photograph in shadows outside, but watch for color shifts.

Will save a huge amount of work. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Another "shooting" tip is to arrange the subjects onto a background, that will be knocked ot, taking shadows, or reflections, with it. Then, place the Image of the subjects onto a "clean" background.

One might also explore the Adjust>Shadow & Highlight function, to brighten Shadows. Experiment a bit.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,870 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 3:47 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Select the object with Quick select, fine tune with refine Edge, copy to a new layer, fill the background layer with white.  You can add a subtle shadow with layer styles if you wish.

I did this as a demonstration in a lighting workshop I ran a couple of years ago.  It makes for a very clean image ideal for adverts.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4034/4713385909_0780c1ac75_z.jpg

BTW  It was taken with on-camera-flash, by directing the strobe at a large white sheet of foam board placed above and behind the bracelet, and with a flag under the strobe to prevent light hitting the bracelet direct from the strobe. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points