Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Converting .RAF files to DNG

Apr 14, 2012 9:12 AM

Hi,

I'm a bit frustrated that I cannot edit my raw files I've shot with my Fuji X-Pro1 in Lightroom or Photoshop.

I've tried to convert the .RAF files to DNG and I get an error stating that files are unsupported.

-Jeremy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to JeremyHARRIS1969

Every camera model must be profiled to be supported by Camera RAW.  What camera model do you have, and what version of the DNG Converter are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to JeremyHARRIS1969

I bought the Fuiji X Pro 1 yesterday. >ove thecamera but lightroom will not recognise the .RAF file. Really frustrating. Any help

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to weinlz

Weintz, the question boils down to this:  Does Adobe support your camera?  You probably should have checked into this before buying a new camera, don't you think?

But fear not, Adobe adds support for new cameras all the time.

If you have a current version of Lightroom or Photoshop, Adobe is likely to release an update within a few months that will support your camera directly, if they haven't already.

If you want to continue to use older Adobe software that does not receive regular updates for new cameras, your choice is to download the LATEST VERSION of their free DNG Converter.  You will convert your raw images to DNG, which can then be opened by your older Adobe software.

See also:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/311515?tstart=0

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to JeremyHARRIS1969

Your situation is not unique, and you are not the first person with this complaint.  Nor will you be the last as long as camera companies continue to insist on their own proprietary raw file format.  Adobe has to create profiles for every new camera that shoots raw images.  It's not just the format, it's the individual model.  Camera Raw looks at the camera model and then provides one or more profiles for that model.  Adobe cannot support a model that hasn't existed, and must be allowed sufficient time to provide raw support for that camera.  That is one of the reasons why ACR is updated approximately four times each year.  However, ACR is only updated for the currently shipping versions of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.  If you don't have the current version then you can use the latest version of the free standalone DNG converter to create DNG (digital negative) copies of your files.  These will contain all of the raw image data, and will provide you with all of raw editing capability that your version of ACR has.  You just won't be able to see it or use any new features that have been added.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points