Skip navigation
Jay55O
Currently Being Moderated

Pin registered

Apr 14, 2012 6:44 PM

I am using Kelby's PSE 7 book. On page 83-86 he covers pin registered. I think his directions leave out an important step since after quite a few trys, I can not get it. Can anyone give me the sequence of steps to do it?Thank you very much. Jay

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 9:15 PM   in reply to Jay55O

That usually refers to moving a layer of the same pixel dimensions to another document of the same pixel dimensions by using the

move tool, dragging the layer to the other document, holding down the shft key before releasing the mouse button.

If the documents are not of the same pixel dimensions, then holding the shift key just centers the layer.

It might be good if you were to mention what version of elements your using.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 9:00 PM   in reply to Jay55O

Example of moving a layer from one document to another dragging from the layers panel (you don't have to use the move tool):

capture_14042012_233214.png

Example of using the move tool to move a layer from from one document window to another:

capture_14042012_233134.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to Jay55O

If your trying to put two copies of the same camera raw file into the same document, i would open the first photo.

Then go to File>Place and navigate to that same photo (the camera raw dialog will open again) and press okay

and you'll get the same photo, processed differently if desired on two seperate layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to Jay55O

Hi Jay 550

did you ever manage to find out what bit of the instructions are missing?

I have PS Elements 11 and the Scott Kelby Elements 11 book and am hitting exactly the same problem as you describe. I have been impressed with the book so far as this is the first problem I have hit (pages 87 - 88 in this version)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:22 AM   in reply to Jay55O

Jay - Thanks for the contact  - I have sent Cindy an e-mail but not heard from her yet

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:40 AM   in reply to Chris1512

Now sorted.

With Cindy's Help I found out that I had (somehow) changed the default setting for the depth pop up menu in Camera Raw - from 8 bits to 16. This is at middle bottom of the Camera Raw screen.

Apparently everything in the book assumes default setting.Other filters also do not work at 16 bits so if a filter is greyed out that is a likely reason

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points