Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I capture from a mini dv camcorder? My laptop does not have a 1394 port or express card slot.

Apr 14, 2012 9:41 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_10

I have a mini dv camcorder. My laptop does not have an IEEE 1394 port or express card slot. How do I capture from my camcorder?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to brown0724

Unfortunately, you can't not if you're planning to edit that video in Premiere Elements. (We do NOT recommend using a FireWire/USB converter or using a cheap digitizer like the Dazzle unit to capture your video.)

The best solution is to capture your video to a computer that does have a FireWire connection and then move the video somehow to your main computer for editing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to brown0724

As more and more laptops are doing away with FW-400 (IEEE-1394a, iLkinK) and PCMCIA, or ExpressCard slots, the only good workaround is to press an older computer into service, WITH and IEEE-1304a connection, or free slot to add an IEEE-1394a card, which is cheap. Then, using an external HDD, or a networked connection, transfer the Captured files to the laptop for editing.

The lack of an ExpressCard slot is what is holding me up for a new laptop. Clevo (major laptop MoBo mfgr.) discontinued adding one, but they are supposed to come back in May, 2012. I am anxiously waiting.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points