Skip navigation
jwilheim
Currently Being Moderated

Replace one InDesign license key with another

Apr 15, 2012 8:53 AM

Tags: #cs5 #license #key #replace

I work for a software integration company that has helped a customer install InDesign CS 5.5 in a terminal server environment.

InDesign CS 5.5 was installed with a license key obtained from Adobe for X number of users.

Now the customer has obtained from Adobe a new license key for Y number of users.

I cannot find any information on this website or searching the wider web on how, exactly, to get this installation of InDesign CS 5.5 to run with the new license key instead of the old one.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to jwilheim

This is not Adobe Customer Support, and we are not Adobe employees. This is the kind of question which you'll need to get answered by calling Adobe Customer Service. There should be a contact phone for that on the Adobe website.

|
    Mark as:
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Apr 15, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to jwilheim

I guess it would work just like if you wanted to transfer ID from one computer to another... you would need to deactivate it first (under the Help menu).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to lilia@

I think the person who posted is talking about multi-user licenses which work differently than the individual licenses we buy for our the software. But I'm not familiar with the detail of how those licenses work, which I why I referred him to Adobe Customer Service.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 16, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to jwilheim

As a practical matter, I don't think it matters too much. There's a certain amount of the "honor system" in volume licensing keys, and the real point is that you paid for the number of seats you are using. If the program doesn't complain about it, I would not spend too-too much time worrying about it.

It's not clear to me if your Y includes your X or not; that is, was X=100 and you added 200 seats and now X=100 and Y=200? Or X=100 and Y=300?

Volume licensing key activations aren't any different from regular license key activations, you can still uninstall (or deactivate, I believe) and install with a new key.

But your "terminal server" environment may complicate the situation if Y does not include X.  You could have two seperate installs of ID, or you could have ID installed with either X or Y but not both.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points