Skip navigation
muddyna
Currently Being Moderated

Old version of Photoshop vs. Windows 7 operating system

Apr 15, 2012 9:56 AM

Tags: #windows_7 #old #photoshop_le_5.0

I have Photoshop LE 5.0 that I have carried around & used for over a decade, but now I can't install it on my laptop, which uses Windows 7. Is there any type of upgrade I can use, or am I screwed? I can't afford a new version & this is the only software I like to use! Please help! I have all my original software keys & everything.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to muddyna

To qualify for the upgrade pricing for Photoshop Elements you would need to have a previous version of Photoshop Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to muddyna

I have a similar problem.  I had Adobe Photoshop 5.0.  I upgraded to CS3 all on my old machine.  Now I have a new machine with Windows 7.  I can't install the CS3 upgrade because it asks for the serial number of my previous version which I have, but it doesn't allow me to enter a serial number for Photoshop 5.0.  So I figured I would install 5.0 first, then install the CS3 upgrade.  I can't install 5.0 on Windows 7.  There has to be a way for me to use the CS3 that I purchased.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie this is likely because Photoshop 5.0 did not qualify for the upgrade to Creative Suite 3 unless there was some type of a special offer at the time.  You are welcome to contact our support team though and they can determine if you qualify to have the requirement to enter a previous version serial number overridden or not.  For the best assistance, I recommend our chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.  Our chat representatives can provide a personalized experience to resolve the issue you have described.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Thanks.  I don't know how I did this the first time around though.  I don't see any record on my account for another upgrade prior to CS3.  I'm pretty certain that I went directly from Photoshop 5.0 to CS3.  Do you think it worked because I had 5.0 already installed?  I don't want to go through the pain of gettig some sort of 32-bit emulator on my machine to install 5.0 if it isn't going to even work.  What do you think?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Ann-Marie

I would just contact the support team.  They can look at your previous records and see if/when we provided some type of an exception to allow the CS3 installation to be completed.  Even if you had Photoshop 5.0 installed Creative Suite 3 would not see it is an eligible product. 

If I recall properly from that time period you would need either Photoshop CS or possibly Photoshop 7.  We typically provide upgrades for up to 3 versions back.  This allows our customers to have time to consider when they are ready to upgrade their product.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Unfortunately they wouldn't help me because I was calling about an old product.  Maybe I'll try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to Ann-Marie

Yea they might possibly deny your unlocking request but assuming they can locate a qualifying version or reason they should provide support for CS3 for this type of issue.  You will want to ask to have your copy of Creative Suite 3 unlocked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points