Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Used to work now it doesn't!

Apr 15, 2012 11:12 AM

Here's the deal. My desktop used to play flash content from various web sites, now it has stopped. I've uninstalled programs I thought may have been causing the problem. I've uninstalled Flash and reinstalled, even going through the registry and deleted all reference to Flash before reinstall.I've checked some of the sites I've been having problems with on my laptop and they worked fine, so I took the laptop to the desktop and compared IE 8 settings between them and set the desktop to the same as the laptop. I've even disabled IE add ons I thought may be stooping Flash from loading correctly and tested after each disable. About at wits end. BTW the desktop is running Vista Business SP2. Anyone have any suggestions or answers for my dilemma?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to mdland55

By "desktop" do you mean the Web browser on your desktop computer?

And are you playing the Flash content in that Web browser? not downloading and saving the file and then opening .swf directly in the Flash program?

If it's a browser you are using, which? IE, FF, etc.

and what version of Flash pluggin are you using. To check ....

If IE, in main browser Menu bar... Tools/Manage Add-ons... look for the "Shockwave Flash Object"

If FF, in main browser Menu bar...Tools/Add -ons look for the "Shockwave Flash"

Also check to ensure that the add-on is "enabled"

Having the Flash program on your machine has nothing to do with whether or not the browser will open Flash downloaded over the Internet. You need a working version of the Flash pluggin (Add-on) installed in the browser.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to mdland55

I think you may be selling the talents of this Forum short. How could it possibly hurt to politely clarify the questions I asked.

So you tested in IE... did you also test in FF or any other browser? that could quickly tell you whether it was a machine or a browser poblems... rarely is there a need to uninstall programs to fix a browser issue.

And if you did test in two browsers and one browser worked and one did not, did you compare the version of the Flash pluggin... working to not working?

compared IE 8 settings between them and set the desktop to the same as the laptop

Doesn't tell me anything about which version of Flash pluggin you are using nor did you specify what "settings" you where talking about.

There have been some issues with newer versions of the Flash pluggin.. but since you didn't mention which version is installed in your browser on either the laptop or the desktop, not sure we can't help you with that issue.

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points