Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encore crashes when I try to open an existing file or create a new project

Apr 15, 2012 5:24 PM

Encore is suddenly crahsing everytime I try to use it, either with an existing project or a new one.  The following error message pops up when I try to open an existing file:

"The player used to create the project can not be found, defaulting to Adobe player"  Then it trys to open the project and crashes.  Opening a new prject just crashes with no error message.

I have tried removing the preferences, and restarting the computer.

I'm running Encore 5.1 on a Mac Pro, OSX 10.6.8.  I ran software update a few days ago and loaded all the recommeded stuff from Apple.  I suspect this is where the problem lies, but I have no idea where to go from here. 

Help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

What you describe is right on track. Here are some other things to try.

Troubleshoot system errors and freezes | Adobe software on Mac OS 10.x

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/824/cpsid_82414.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 9:48 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

when I rebooted with the shift key depressed Encore worked again.  But then I rebooted normally and it's back to the same errors.  I don't see any folder on the computer called "Login items", so what do you think is happening with the shift key depressed and how do I find the conflict?

Sorry; that appears to be a Mac thing. It does suggest that it may the Mac update.

When you again reboot with the shift key, does it again work?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

Over on the Windows side of things, the "usual" problem that occurs with a Windows update is the video driver (ATI or nVidia) is "broken" by Microsoft, and then must be updated

This does not happen for everyone, but it does happen

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

Fantastic!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to Stevedocmaker

There have been some PC-users, who have had issues with Flash Player updates. Because of that, I have held off letting Flash Player update, until things settle down a bit. Not sure what is happening, but I have become a bit shy. Do not know if any of those issues have affected Mac-users, or not. As a side-note, not THAT long ago, John T. Smith posted of some "issues" with Flash Player, and some interesting (read "scary") cookies, that installed with it. Cannot find his post now, and that was about a year, or so, ago.

Also, IIRC, when one updates their Mac OS, it installs the latest video drivers, where PC-users need to install those updated drivers separately, from either their computer's mfgr's. Web site, say Dell, or directly from ATI/AMD, or nVidia.

Good luck, and glad that things are now working for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Not Flash Player itself, but an article I read that told about "persistent cookies" made using Flash

I found a product call "Flash Cookies Cleaner" from www.hotcleaner.com that removes flash cookies

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points