Skip navigation
pstern7644
Currently Being Moderated

Transfering files from Windows Dreamweaver CS5.5 to build apps on MAC

Apr 15, 2012 9:08 PM

I am considering upgrading to CS5.5 to take advantage of Dreamweaver's new Phonegap features.

I am a Windows user.

I know I can't build iOS APPS on Windows but can I move th files I have built to a MAC with a development envvironment and build the APP there ?

Thanks

Phil Stern

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 15, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to pstern7644

You definitely can. I'm assuming you define 'sites' in DW to build your code/ design. You could goto Site > Manage Sites. Locate the site you're moving to Mac, click 'Export' and save the file. It'll be saved as *.ste

You could copy this file on your Mac. Open Dreamweaver, Site > Manage Sites > Import.

Another workaround is, assuming you're running a WAMP or a similar localhost enviromnment to build your DW files. You could just copy all files from your localhost root to a localhost root on Mac running MAMP or something similar. Then, Open DW > Site > New Site > Link the folder from your Localhost root.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

Phil,

Sud is correct if you are building a mobile website that you don't need XCode, but if you are truly building an App taking advantage of GPS and other features of the OS you will need XCode to test and eventually package your website for distribution.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 16, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to pstern7644

Depends on what you're wanting to build. HTML5 webpages are cross-browser/ cross-device compatible and will work across iOS, Android & BlackBerry (modify with WebWorks) models.

In this case, a HTML editor is recommended. If you do not have DW on the Mac, you could copy the projects folder from localhost ROOT and open it with any HTML editor.

I think you're confusing yourself with the iOS build here. There is no such thing as a 'native' Mac environment to build iOS webpages. Webpages made with any HTML editor will open on iOS.

If you're talking about building iOS Apps, you need to download XCode and other related iOS SDK's to start. This link should give you an insight: https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 16, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to pstern7644

You need to get XCode which is the foundation to building any iOS Apps. You'll get the complete package with it - including the design/ development tools + testing/ simulation tools. Follow the link in my previous post or here it is again: https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

Good luck with your 1st iOS App!

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 16, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to pstern7644

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This