Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Finding missing files when it is asking for them!

Apr 15, 2012 9:38 PM

I recently exported several projects that were complete with the clips and not just the abriviated clips i used in the project.

When i go back to open the project...it asks me for missing files. Now i have exported the whole thing and it was like 330 GB

and i have not touched this project since for anything...how could it be missing?

More so when it asks me for a file...these files are huge...so i try to copy and paste the file name to go to my search box...but i cannot.

Surely there must be an easier way that i am missing here.

How cool would it be if there was a search button that would search my computer and external HDD's to find where the missing clips.

Or i am open to there being an easy answer i am missing totally:-)

Thanks,

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Soshman

Mark,

What OS are you using?

When PrPro asks, "Where is file _____ ?" it is because link to that/those file(s), which is an absolute Path, is broken. It could be that the link points to a Path, that has changed, perhaps to an external HDD that is not plugged-in, or has perhaps been assigned a new drive letter/name by the OS. Did you locate those files on an external HDD?

PrPro should also offer the Finder, to locate the missing file(s).

If you are on Windows, you can use the Search feature in Windows Explorer, and only need the file's name, not its full Path. I would guess that Mac's Finder, or Searchlight, is similar.

Once you have located the first broken link file, PrPro will search in that folder, and automatically re-link to all missing files in that folder. If you have missing files (broken links) to file in several folders, you will need to repeat the task for each folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to Soshman

You are most welcome.

As for organization, there are many ways to set up folder structures for a Project. This ARTICLE outlines my most often used method. Remember, this is but one method.

Note: as I migrate Projects between several computers, I am using FW-800 externals, and I sacrifice some performance for the portability factor. It also serves me well, when I do to Delete a finished Project, as everything is in one place. I could get more performance, if I spread things over several HDD's, say meida on a one RAID, Export to another, etc.

For tutorials on doing many things in PrPro, I strongly recommend pouring through the PrPro FAQ's, that Todd Kopriva has put together. He covers a lot of ground there.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Soshman

I used to import media files from other project folders as needed which is normally not a problem for the first version of a project. But when you archive that completed project to a portable drive and then have to revise it a couple years down the road, finding those imported files can take forever -- if they haven't been trashed altogether. So I've found it much better to copy every media file into the current project folder before importing, rather than simply import it from where it originally was placed. So then an archived project folder will contain every asset needed to open the project.  It takes a minute longer but can save unbillable hours of  headaches down the road.

As for a longer list of recent projects: in Windows anyway, if you have Premiere in the Start menu and hover the cursor over it, the 10 most recent edit projects/versions are shown. Hover over one of them and the file path is shown. No dates, but you could find them in Explorer of course.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points