Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 importing causing program to crash.

Apr 16, 2012 12:22 AM

Tags: #crashing #importing #lightroom4

Lightroom 4 will not import files. Windows 7 pop-up states; "there is a problem with this program that is preventing it from running correctly will check for solution". "Windows failed to find a solution must shut down program now".

This prevents the import page from loading or working and no images can be imported using usb or SATA connections. Was able to use computer's built-in card-reader to read from Sd and compact cards, those were able to run in the import window only because of preference setting. "when a Memory card is installed import files" (preference-setting).  Any other means of importing files, the out-come is the program crashing and being shut down. All other functions outside the import menu seem to be working. Deleting all catalogs and then using the default catalog setting,  failed to clear issue.

System info: Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 cpu, 16 gigs of ram, 4 one terabyte hard-drives.

Solutions tried. Removing Lightroom 4, all catalogs, then running defrag, registry cleaner, before attempting to re-installing lightroom 4.  Removing lightroom 4 and installing lightroom 3.6 fails to fix issue. Removing all Lightroom products from hardrive,Including the windows program folder, windows programs data folder. Then rebooting re-running defrag, registry cleaner and re-installing lightroom 4 fails to fix importing issue. No way to contact support and links to user group fail to take me to correct user group. Question with the lead as lightroom 4 importing causes program to crash. Takes me to everything but lightroom solutions!  Now this takes me to photoshop user group which has nothing to do with lightroom. With lightroom 4 in the question itself, I get everything but lightroom solutions!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to jfalsken

One thing to make sure: Did you run the installer as administrator?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 10:57 PM   in reply to jfalsken

LR does not call CameraRaw. For LR CameraRaw hast not to be installed because the CameraRaw engine is built into LR. Otherwise LR would only work if Photoshop and CR are installed on a computer as well, which is not the case.

Another idea: Owner/access rights of the LR folder, the folder where the catalog is located as well as the image folders. Verify that you are the owner or do have full access rights at least.

I am working on W7 64bit as well, without issues, and without PS or CameraRaw installed - just plain LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:52 AM   in reply to jfalsken

Lightroom has no connection to ACR used by Photoshop and never has!

Your problem is with your system somewhere and nothing to do with Lightroom interacting with PS.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points