Skip navigation
Dvanula00
Currently Being Moderated

Random text changes in Photoshop CS6 Beta

Apr 16, 2012 1:52 AM

Tags: #text #bug #layer #type #cs6 #beta #type_tool #photoshop_cs6 #type_issues #cs6_beta #photoshop_cs6_beta

Hey all,

I got a problem in PS CS6 Beta. When I try to change some text immediately after I click on text with type tool the text changes to some random text from my PSD file. So I'm unable to edit any texts in my PSD. I've tried to reset photoshop settings and also delete system font chache. This happens only in some of my PSDs. If I open a new file type tool works fine but I need my old ones as well.

I've also tried open those PSDs in CS5 or on the other computers (macs and windows) but the problem remain the same.

Does any of you have this problem? Any fixes?

Thanks

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to Dvanula00

Dvanula00 wrote:

I've also tried open those PSDs in CS5 or on the other computers (macs and windows) but the problem remain the same.

Did I read you correctly to say that you have PSD files that with multiple different versions of Photoshop cause text corruption when you attempt to edit the text - i.e., no matter whether you run the Ps CS6 beta or an older version of the app?

Sounds like you have basic font problems in your files or on your systems if that's the case.  I haven't done all that much text with Ps CS6, but I've certainly done enough to know I'm not seeing a problem such as you're describing at all.

Do you see all the fonts correctly when you pull down the font selector and preview your fonts on your system?

Might help to describe your system, as well (Mac/PC, OS version, hardware specs, whether you have 3rd party font management, plug-ins, etc.).

Can you crop or otherwise make one of the files you're seeing the problem with smaller (ensuring the problem can still be reproduced) and post it online?  I'm sure the Adobe people would like to test it, and I'd be happy to try to reproduce the problem you're seeing with it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Dvanula00

When I try to change some text immediately after I click on text with type tool the text changes to some random text from my PSD file.

YES! I have that same issue. The type displays fine, but if you try to edit... it converts to some other text layer in the same PSD document. Once the document is "corrupt", it carries the problem with it. So it shows up on other machines.

I did download some new fonts about the same time I installed beta CS6, but the problem appears with all the fonts in the document, including some I have without problem for years.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to Dvanula00

Yeah... but I think you would have had a lot more complaints by now if this is solely a PsCS6 caused problem.

However, it is something I have never seen before.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to Dvanula00

I don't plan to sign up or log into that site just to verify the problem, but maybe the Adobe people will be interested enough to do so.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Same here.

But I also have a PSD with this problem if any Adobe people are interested in taking a look.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Dvanula00

I can reproduce the symptom with that file.  This is on a Windows system.

Whatever caused it to get stored that way looks like a bona fide bug - and a nasty one.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Dvanula00

Yes. This is the exact same problem I have. Thanks so much for posting it. I thought I was only one.

It began using CS6, but once the file "catches" this... it shows up when opened on CS5 too.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Dvanula00

Dvan,

Just out of curiosty, are you seeing multiple Type Styles listed too? (probably a different problem, but just curious)

typeissues.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to Dvanula00

Hi

I'll take a look at your corrupted file. Are you saying you had a perfectly good file that you opened in PSCS6 on 3 different machines and the file became corrupted on all 3?

Did you by chance point your plugins folder to one you have for CS5? (because that is a no no and causes issues)

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 17, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to Pattie F

I think Mike is saying that the file was specifically corrupted by editing it Ps CS6 and saving it, then the symptom remained when that file was opened by any version of Photoshop on any machine.  Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Pattie F

Pattie,

if you need a second psd file with same issue, please let me know.

Charles

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to charles badland

Charles-

Are you seeing the same thing with a different file? Do you have a copy of the file "before" and "after " by chance?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Pattie F

Pattie,

My file (large 600+ MB) began showing this problem a while back. This thread is the first I have seen of another user with same problem. I'll have to look to see if I have a copy prior to this occurring.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Pattie-

I have some earlier versions... but they are quite removed from the file that has the problems. (different fonts and scaling) Sorry to say no exact comparable "before and after".

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to Pattie F

I'm seeing the same bug, I started woring on a file created in PS CS5 in PS CS6 beta. As soon as I try to edit any text the text is replaced by some other text in the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to Andreas___

Well that's 3 out of a half-million. It would be nice to find a commonality and make this reproducible so Adobe can look at it.

One unique thing that occured while working this problem file, is my Time Machine disc filled up. Not sure how that could affect the text layers. Just throwing that out if either Andreas or Dvan are on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to charles badland

I'm also seeing the duplicate font styles btw

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to charles badland

I can add that I'm on a mac, swedish locale, the file I'm working on is a website design with lots of (text) layers and that some of the text layers when edited turns into "?  ?   ?   ?   ?" instead of some text from another layer. I'm not using time machine so that can't be it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Andreas___

I notice the OP's PSD had some swedish text (I think),

Charles, what sorts of languages are you using in your corrupted PSD?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Hi Pete.

North America English.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Dvanula00

I'm having the same problem. This totally sucks, my document is corrupt and I can't edit any text without it replacing random text. I shouldn't have used CS6 on production work, dang.

So far I notice this HORRIBLE bug and then the bug that I can't drag a document around in the workspace. Everytime I drag it resets the document at the top of the screen over the UI icons even. If I hide the Windows taskbar the problem is fixed. So that's a bug as well that's super annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Eric Stoffers

Eric,

Do you by chance have a copy of the file before and after corruption that we could take a look at?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to Andreas___

Andreas-

Regarding the duplicate type styles:

have you cleared out your font cache to remedy the duplicate font styles?

see related post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4306828#4306828

and FAQ below shows how to clear out the cache.

Pattie

FAQ: How do I clear out my font cache to fix font style and duplicate font style issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to charles badland

Charles-

Did you resolve your duplicate type styles as suggested to Andreas?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 1:08 AM   in reply to Pattie F

That solved the duplicate font style issue, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to Andreas___

Eric, Andreas-    I'd still love to have files from you to test with. You can use dropbox or other method if they are too large to email.

Charles, Dvanula00-    thanks for the files.

Andreas- I'm glad that fixed your duplicate styes.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to Pattie F

I just sent you a link to a before and after of the PSD files in a private message.

I should point out that if you try and crop the image it will change all the text boxes as well, all at once. That seemed even stranger, but maybe a clue for you guys.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 11:34 PM   in reply to Eric Stoffers

Thanks Eric!

We'll take at look at this odd behavior in your files. Thanks for sending them.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to Eric Stoffers

Thanks to all of you for sending the files. We have the developers looking at this to see what is going on there.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to Pattie F

Hello Pattie,

I realize this might be too much to ask but did the developers find the

problem and did they happend to fix my file in the process?

Andreas

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to Andreas___

We can reproduce the issue and are working on it, but I don't believe that your file has been fixed.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points