Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

My first PC build for video editing purposes

Apr 16, 2012 12:32 PM

I have done some research into building my own video editing PC. I want to spend about 800 pounds. I will list some of the components I have so far. Any suggestion would be welcomed and appreciated.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) Motherboard - £159.98

4 x Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory - £12.76 each

For CPU I am going to wait for the Ivy Bridge Core 17 to come out

PNY nVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 Graphics Card with 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express

£210.97

I have heard that it does not matter how fast the RAM is but it is more important how much you have. My Mobo can take 2800 Mhz. I have also heard that the graphic card is important when video editing. It acts as a secondary CPU which enhances the performance.

Is all the above information correct?

Thanks

Dominic

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to DominicCrozet

About the GPU... http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playba ck-engine-and-adobe-premiere-pro.html

Also be sure you have enough hard drives... I edit AVCHD with 3 drives as a home hobbyist... for professional use you might want more drives, or raid

My 3 hard drives to edit AVCHD are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to DominicCrozet

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to DominicCrozet

My 3 drives work for ME as a home hobbyist where the last bit of speed is not required

The benefit of 4 drives is you have your video INPUT on #3 and OUTPUT on #4 so no waiting while a single video drive switches from reading input to writing output

Again, the sizes I quote for #1 and #2 work well for me... but, with the small price difference, 4 x 1T is also good

Do not skimp on case and power supply... you need a full tower case for airflow (lots of case fans) and a "Gold" 850watt power supply

I built with a mid-tower case, and wish I had gone full tower http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Dominic,

Your questions have been answered many times in one form or another. Just have a look at the hardware FAQ section, the most popular discussions on the right hand side and follow the links in those articles to for instance eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

>Why would I need 850Watt as opposed to say 1000Watt

Go to the link Harm provided... I can only say that an 850w PS works well in MY build... you may need 1000w for YOUR build

Be sure to get a case with mounting for LOTS of case fans... I have 5 - top, front, 2 side to blow air IN and one back (plus PS) to blow warm air out

Large 120mm (or larger) fans spin slower than 80mm case fans, so do not make as much noise

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to DominicCrozet

> 'fans.' Will I need to buy these seperately or do these simply come with the components I am planning to buy

You will have to look at the specifications for what you buy, and then "fill up" as needed

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Here is the biggest reason why you need multiple drives in an editing system:

1) If you have only a single hard drive for absolutely everything including the OS, think of the SATA connection as a single-lane road with reversible traffic controls. And because of the single traffic lane, traffic can only move in one direction at a time. And a certain block of traffic in that direction must pass completely through before any traffic is allowed to move in the opposite direction. That's what's called "half-duplex". An analogy to this would be the reversible-direction express lanes in the middle of Chicago's Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94).

2) Even as separate drives, hard disks are limited in maximum sequential transfer bandwidth. The fastest 7200 RPM mechanical hard drives can hit just under 190 MB/s on the outer tracks, and drop off to around 80 MB/s on the inner tracks. That's one reason why a hard drive should not be filled to its maximum capacity. It's also why multiple drives in a RAID array can improve sequential performance, especially if you're working with RED 4K and uncompressed HD material.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Yeah. Google is your friend.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Extended ATX means that the motherboard is larger than a standard ATX.  Unfortunately there is no standard for extended.  You will have to check the actual size from the specification of the motherboard that you will find on the manufacturer's web site.

You will also need to check that your chosen case will accept an extended ATX motherboard, most do not. One that does is the Lian-Li PC90.

As Harm said, Google is your friend!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 2:41 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

It is usually the depth of the case that matters for ATX extended motherboards, rather than the height.  Most suppliers in the UK do state whether or not the case will accept extended motherboards.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

DominicCrozet wrote:

From what I have read the extended ATX supports a full tower case.

I would just like to correct the statement above so it is clear in your mind.  An Extended ATX motherboard requires a case that is rated for E-ATX or Extended ATX, just because it is a tower case it may or may not support your motherboard.  Look at these NewEgg cases as examples and you have to drill down to the specifications to verify the compatibility

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Alan Craven

Actually, Alan, yes, there is a specific requirement for Extended ATX:

The E-ATX case has eight total expansion slots. Standard ATX cases have only seven total expansion slots. E-ATX cases must accept E-ATX or any of the smaller variants of ATX.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to RjL190365

My PC-90 qualifies with a vengeance, then - it has 10 pci slots!  But it's height is still less than many full towers at 505 mm.  It will also take 400 mm long graphics cards.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T Smith wrote:

About the GPU... http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playba ck-engine-and-adobe-premiere-pro.html

Also be sure you have enough hard drives... I edit AVCHD with 3 drives as a home hobbyist... for professional use you might want more drives, or raid

My 3 hard drives to edit AVCHD are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Hi John,

your setup inspired me to use a similar three-HDD-version while I wait for harddisk prices to go down - at least a bit.

"AVCHD" and "hobbyist" sounds fine to me. A pragmatic setup. If it works for you, it might for me too.

I am on Windows 7 Professional, 32GB Samsung RAM, i7 3930K. 3 WD Black Caviar.

Q: On your disk 2: Did you partition the disk to force the Page file to run on the fast "outside" of the disk? I have googled the subject of partitioning but the answers are confusing. Some say that the "classic" way of seeing things works fine - and that you get higher performance by placing a partion #1 containing the Page file. And can avoid fragmentation too. Others say that modern HDDs are devided using some kind of a spiral layout and this would make all patitions equally performing.

So, what is your (and other's) view on this matter? Are you patitioning your drive 2?

Further:

Q2: When you directed your swap to disk 2 - did you chose not to have any page file on your disk 1 (for Mem dumps and some (older?) programs that want a pageing file on the system disk)?

Q3: How big should one guess that the page file should be - considering the RAM amount, processor speed and the AVCHD codecs? Do the old rules still apply - for instance to dubble the RAM amount + 50% extra for security - or is this old school antiques?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Some difference. If the ratio between 580 and 680 also holds up for the 570 - 670, you will have around 10 - 15% performance increase, but more importantly, less energy consumption and thus cooler.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

SLI does not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Looks good. Budget is the limiting factor when deciding to use an SSD or not. A 500 GB boot disk is around € 65, a 256 GB SSD is around € 280 and the only thing to show for that expenditure is bragging rights and faster loading of programs. It does not help improve editing performance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Apply the 'hack'.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to DominicCrozet

Dominic,

It sounds like you do not have sufficient handles, or better said a lack of handles on these transitions, like in this case:

AAABBCCC|||XXXYYYZZZ where each letter indicates a different clip and III indicates the transition.

Now, if the start of the transition uses part of the BB clip it means your transition is too long, so frames from the BB clip are used instead of only from the CCC clip, as you intended. Or alternatively, if parts of YYY show up at the end of the transition where you only wanted XXX to show, it means you do not have sufficient handles so in those cases either shorten the transition or extend the handles from CCC and XXX.

This is pretty difficult to explain on paper, but I hope you get my drift.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points